98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
woooooooooo :)
You need to clean your garage.
Finarry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YEYYYY

Congrats! Glad to see that you have something. Kinda jealous. But eh, ill live ha! cant wait to see it fully swapped over! Document this for us! (sure you will)
I am very meticulous when it comes to things like this, so it will for sure be documented to stupid point.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
HVAC came out today, as well as other miscellaneous things like the hood latch, door hinges, and all that fun stuff. Took LOADS of pictures as to where the wiring goes but i won't upload those because there are like 60, and they aren't too interesting. If anyone ever wants to see in depth what the wiring on a RHD car looks like i'd be more than happy to share.

Anyways, fun pics!

Before the HVAC came out, just trying to get an overview of what it looks like

And HVAC out and everything ready to be pulled out and merged. Looks as though i just need to trim the length of the ECU wires, and wire in the LHD cluster, interior lights, headlights, and small bits like that into where the RHD wires go into. Easy enough.

I also found this little wire and line... looks as though it went to a boost gauge some day. Did the V4 STis have factory boost gauges? If so where can i get one.. seems silly to have the connections sitting right there and no gauge.

Hooks up right here..

S'all for now. I need to go take a shower because i need to be cleaned up for my date with my intercooler. Bending fins back.. woo.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Got bored again.. so i pulled off the suspension and 4 pots.

Time to paint these go fast red. Because race car.

I think my coolant overflow has a crack..

What the hubs look like now. Have to admit, this thing is REALLY clean.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Did some more work. Got the radiator out... as well as all the coolant that was left in the system... meaning almost all of it... on my garage floor :monkey:

Also bumper beam and a couple little things. Undid the front x member nuts. The front body is super light... prolly just gonna undo the trans mount and control arm bolts (but i need new sockets to get at those) and just disconnected everything and lift up the frame.

Also I have no idea what this is for..

Was sitting near the ABS module, and connected to this:

And then one more line on the bottom:

Something for Jap emissions? i couldn't follow the line back without laying in a world full of coolant so i'm at a loss.

I want the trans and engine and all that separated from the shell by Friday. I have a week long break from classes next week and want so swap in the entire driveline minus the engine which will go in around May (once classes are done).

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,702 Posts
It's like a old-version charcoal canister. my 95 used to have one.

...If you just bypass it and run the vacuum line to the intake, you'll sputter on right turns and it will take YEARS to figure out why...

If you block it off at the TB, your tank will never get vacuum, but I dont notice anything bad. Or you can just keep it. It doesn't hurt anything.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Phase 1 of 5 Completed

So my dad and i got the clip in it's entirety on some harbor freight dollies, and instead of putting the engine and all that from the top.. we decided to take the clip away from the engines and trans and whatnot.

Was surprisingly easy. Definitely doable with two, might i say strong, people.

Pulled it up and over and away from the garage for now.. wheeled the rest of the parts into the corner and got my father's car in the garage. Will be able to wheel it right back out tomorrow to crack the engine from the trans and start moving things over.

Pictures per usual:

After disconnecting EVERYTHING (and taking a TON of pictures) it looked a bit like this:

Then it was all like this:

And i was all like "Oh Emm GEE!" at this:

(Wicked bad picture)

Guess that's all for now, though I have a couple questions:

Halfshafts for JDM trans. Will they go right into the 98 RS hubs, or do i need to move the STi ones over right now?

JDM trans (electrically) plug and play? To my knowledge it is.

If i need to move the STi ones now, can i use the turbo x member w/ the 2.5L as is? (To avoid having to swap hubs over and yucky stuff, like taking axles out)

My plan is to get the, Transmission, Clutch (+ MC), Brakes (+MC), diff, full rear suspension and hubs, and driveshaft over to the car by about this time next week. As of 8:55PM today i am on Spring Break and am not (to my knowledge) expected to be anywhere that i need my car for.

Oh, and referring to my Phase 1, here are the 5 Phases I have planned.

Phase 1: Getting drive train and other bits separated from the clip
Phase 2: Getting the drive train minus engine into car
Phase 3: Harness Merge
Phase 4: Getting the EJ20 into the car
Phase 5: Debug

That's all for now.

Cheers

-Garrett

101 - 120 of 2546 Posts