Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1141 - 1160 of 2559 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146
Copy cat! Did you get center caps with them?
I didn't, but my friend has a set he is giving me:

Those are badass!
OMG on the wheels man, those are sweet.
Those wheels are sick
awwwwwwww look!!! dimples!
Thaaaaaaaaanks,can't wait for spring... and my car to run right. Mostly the last one.

So you are the guy who bought those. I had an inquired about them and everything. You got a heck of a deal on those. I was to slow
SHHHHH

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
^^ Yup.

Did a coolant pressure test and did a cylinder compression test.

Looked a bit like this:

Searched for the leak and found this bad boy:

Would drip like crazy once it reached full pressure, and pressure would stop being lost at 7psi... so it is holding SOME. This could be the cause.

It's a line that goes to the oil "cooler" and I've already got a new one in the mail along with a new T stat just to make sure that's not acting up.

Also did an engine compression test tonight and the results were perfect.

Still need a turbo inlet though, since mine has a hole in it the size of Jupiter. Car should be back to normal status here in a little while.

Sure hope so.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,151
Swapped that leaky coolant hose with a new OEM one tonight.

Still getting bubbles :(

Seems like they are less pronounced and my heat is better.. so maybe it's holding more pressure? Maybe I'm just hoping? Either way the line that had a hole in it, absolutely had a hole in it.

I revved the car out and still lost heat, but the car didn't overheat. The heat came back too.

Also while I was under the car I noticed a wet spot on the radiator neat the bottom driver's side peg insert.. Not sure if it's leaky yet, but that's my next go to I think.

I dunno guys.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
if the rad has a hairline crack in the plastic end tanks, it would burn off before you could get out of the car and see it leaking. which might be why yoou're seeing residue on the lower mount points.

i had a similar issue with mine. the top tank split. only way i found out about it is i went and beat the **** out of the car for a few minutes, got it hot..and stopped, ran out of the car and popped to the hood to look. was spewing all over the right side of the car.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
Well bubbles seem to have gone down SIGNIFICANTLY, however still losing coolant.

Drove 250 miles back home for the weekend and after letting the car cool down I was down about the amount of the entire expansion tank.

Also while I was home I did a pressure test once again, this time in a nice warm garage with better tools, and absolutely can hear a leak at the header tank on top on the seem where the filler neck hits the top plate.

Going to replace the tank and see what comes of it.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154
Alright so I tested the same pressure tester on my buddy's car, and it was leaking from the EXACT same spot, so I chalked it up to the tester being a bad pressure tester.

I grabbed ANOTHER tester from the store and put it on the car tonight. Held perfectly at 17psi for over 10 minutes while stone cold. Held just fine after I warmed the engine up too (expanding metal/gaskets/etc).

Hum.

Also, replaced my REALLY bad brass T with an OEM one and some silocone hose instead of garbage Autozone vinyl. Ran the boost gauge line with silicone hose too.

I LOVE silicone compared to this bad rubber.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,258 Posts
Regardless of the fact that you aren't at 100% I'm still happy to read you finally got a chance for some real diagnosis and it looks to be all small issues compounding. Keep at it son. Bravo.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157
Heater Core Replacement - Part 1

Went to a junkyard today to grab a heater box and core for my car today. Ended up snagging the box from the same exact RS that I had bought my 251 from way back when 4 years ago. I knew the car was clean, taken care of, and had around 100k miles.

First day it was over 40 here so my girlfriend and I had a good day pulling the dash. Things were just a bit wet.

Got back home and pulled the dash on my car. Haven't had this bad boy off in 3 years.

Rearranged a lot of the wiring and pulled out the heater box and pulled out the heater core. When I blew it out myself I could feel a lot of hesitation and blockage already in there. I had it all going into my plugged sink so I could see all the crap coming out. There was lots of it.

I got this shitty picture of the inside of the old core once I took off the hoses:

The send line had a TON of garbage in it and water I ran through it was trapped up there.

This may just be it guys.

I put the dash back in and still have a few things to button up tomorrow, mainly the steering column grommet of death :unamused:. Also have some coooolio stuff to put back on that I got in the junkyard.

I'll update again tomorrow.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,160
Could you just have run some vinegar or something through the coolant for a while if you would have known this were the issue?
Maybe. Probably. Better to get a new unit instead though. I don't mind pulling the dash since I've done it a million times.

1141 - 1160 of 2559 Posts