Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

921 - 940 of 2558 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #921 (Edited)
JDM V5 STi Gunmetal Radio Surround, Shifter Trim and Cig Lighter Light

Got this in the mail from Joshua today, and had the shifter trim from another purchase a while back.

Before:

After:

Also came with a cig light. Had an extra 2 pin OEM connector (and I wish I took pictures of this) with a switched 12v and the dimmer signal that was sitting doing nothing. So I pulled out the blades and popped them into the 3 pin connector I had that only had a ground wired to it... and tadda cig light with OEM connectors.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
And another summer list update:

Red - High Priority
Black - Regular Priority
Blue - Lowest Priority
Green - Done

General
-Air Filter
-Bumper crack fix
-Fender liner fixes

-Headlight bulb
-General fender touchup

Driveability
- WRX Gas tank (have one at a friend's place waiting for me to pick up)
- STi Surge Tank + Sender (Can go in with WRX tank... HOPEFULLY)
- 04 STi Steering Rack + appropriate column adapter for GC (still not 100% clear on whether or not it'll work, methinks yes though)
- Lighter wheels, will trade the P7s for them... may keep tires
- Whiteline Steering Rack bushings
- V6 STi struts/springs
- STi (1 1/16) Brake MC + booster
- IC Cowl

Cosmetic

- Quarter panel swap
- JDM tails
- JDM corners + clear bumper lights
- V5/6 STi seats F/R + Type R cards
- Flat Fuel door
- Fender STi badges
- Tints (still maybe on this)
- Gunmetal Radio Surround

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #924
So last night was interesting..

tl;dr stuck in 6 miles of stopped traffic on the highway because of an accident, another accident because of the traffic happened RIGHT behind me and my clutch line got nice and hot and blew out. Waited on the side of the highway for an hour or two for traffic to clear up and rev matched my way home. Also according to a state trooper who pulled up behind me, there were two more accidents.

I think a high pressure blowout happened.. only thing I can think of because I've had the issue of my clutch getting mushy after swapping MCs and slaves but never the line.

My clutch fluid container was empty while on the side of the highway, so I assume it finally gave out.

Got home after grindin' some gears and found a wet line

Swapped it with a spare I had with 50k miles on it, as opposed to the 170k on the original line. Added in some new crush washers and everything seems even better than it was before, which again leads me to believe the rubber hose was bad.

Might be time to get a stainless line after all these years of shittalking them.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #928
Small thing today. Got a new(er) axleback today. Bought the entire turboback, but tossed this can on my car because it was much nicer than the one I had on there originally.

Old:

New:

500% less scrapes. Woop.

Need to snag a gasket though, since my one use graphite crush gasket came off in 5 pieces.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,204 Posts
Ouu, love the shot, really making me want to get a V6 wing asap. Also, I love how your priority list is setup, because my spreadsheet uses the same exact color coding for my cells.! Have any idea of the height when/if you get the V6 suspension?

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #931
Ouu, love the shot, really making me want to get a V6 wing asap. Also, I love how your priority list is setup, because my spreadsheet uses the same exact color coding for my cells.! Have any idea of the height when/if you get the V6 suspension?
From what i've read, it should bring it down ~1in from stock RS height. I'll measure a before and after when I get suspension. Can always toss on some springs to go a bit lower if needed too.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #933
Got the WRX gas tank from my buddy's place this weekend. Looks like the STi surgebox will fit in with LOADS of room to spare.

My only worry is doubling up on fuel filters and if it's going to cause an issue. Thread on that here:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t210938-gd-sti-fuel-sender-gc-rs-too-many-filters-need-opinons.html

Also ended up with an 04 WRX wheel. Was pretty excited to put it in the car, until I ran into an airbag problem, and now I'm skeptical about whether or not i want to put it in the car. Pictures of that:

WRX bag on the left, RS on the right.

Pulled off the connector in the center of the airbag on the RS bag and looked at it with the WRX one. Not even close.. is there a mid connector, or does the harness from the car go right to the center on the WRX bag?

Will make more official posts once I get the parts on the car.

Also, I may be interested in trading the 04 WRX wheel for V4/5/6 STi Momo. Straight trade, no I don't want to pay cash on top or will i trade for a Nardi or other WRX/STi wheel.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #934 (Edited)
2002 USDM WRX Gas tank and 05-07 STi Fuel Sender + Surge Box

Finally got this bad boy in, and can make an official mod post about it.

Dropped the 06 Impreza tank and more or less just swapped over the piping I had already figured out for that tank. You can find all of that in my old gas tank post right here: GD Gas Tank Swap

I decided to do away with the STi in-tank filter to minimize variables, and keep it as stock V4 STi as possible.

And in the sender went along with all the already figured out lines

Only ended up breaking the top 4 studs for the rollover valve cover. Ended up being able to get two opposing nuts on it, so it should be good.

Put the tank back in without hassle. Then I moved the remaining fuel over from the old tank into the new tank...

Once I started it up everything worked great with the exception of the fuel gauge. It was stuck on 0, but I was bucking and growling like crazy like I was out of gas, so I figured I was super low (I was) and headed to the gas station. Filled it up and I still didn't have a fuel gauge so I grabbed the old senders and did some testing:

As it turns out, the pin (Pin 2 on the sender connector) that the STi sender uses as a ground for the fuel gauge literally just terminates at the next connector in the RS harness and doesn't go anywhere. The RS uses pin 5 on the sender connector as a ground, so I just wired it up so that pin 2 went to pin 5 and the ground was made.

My logic in diagram form:

Pin 2 further down in the harness:

Pin 5 further down in the harness:

Connected:

Viola!

Pulled great at WOT through 3rd and I can't wait to really get into some turns to put the surge box to good use. SUCK ON IT STi GUYS!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
And of course another list update:

Red - High Priority
Black - Regular Priority
Blue - Lowest Priority
Green - Done

General
-Air Filter
-Bumper crack fix
-Fender liner fixes

-Headlight bulb
-General fender touchup

Driveability
- WRX Gas Tank
- STi Surge Tank + Sender

- 04 STi Steering Rack + appropriate column adapter for GC (still not 100% clear on whether or not it'll work, methinks yes though)
- Lighter wheels, will trade the P7s for them... may keep tires
- Whiteline Steering Rack bushings
- V6 STi struts/springs
- STi (1 1/16) Brake MC + booster
- IC Cowl

Cosmetic

- Quarter panel swap
- JDM tails
- JDM corners + clear bumper lights
- V5/6 STi seats F/R + Type R cards
- Flat Fuel door
- Fender STi badges
- Tints (still maybe on this)
- Gunmetal Radio Surround

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #938
I always like to share wiring stuff because at this point I've done a lot of it, and it's REALLY not hard to do. Problem is, I've also had people come to me and offer me money to do wiring on their cars for them.. so of course I'm stuck with the choice of posting all of my wiring stuff, or making money.

Meh, such is life I suppose.

·
Registered
1994 Impreza L
112 Posts
I always like to share wiring stuff because at this point I've done a lot of it, and it's REALLY not hard to do. Problem is, I've also had people come to me and offer me money to do wiring on their cars for them.. so of course I'm stuck with the choice of posting all of my wiring stuff, or making money.

Meh, such is life I suppose.
Wiring is not my forte. Soon I'm going to attempt to wire in JDM power folding mirrors on my L (didn't have power mirrors to begin with) and I'm going to keep a fire extinguisher close since I'll probably burn everything down. :disappear I'll also need to wire in fog lights (again, don't have any) but I have instructions for that so it isn't a big deal.

But thanks again for the sharing. I always go through threads like this and try to absorb it in. Knowledge is power.

Sometimes it's best not to be paid for something you enjoy. You start taking money in then you might stop enjoying it since it'll be work. I've seen this happen to a few car guys. They love building their own cars because it's their passion, but once they started making a business of it the joy was replaced by stress.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #940
Guess I should post this up here because it's all part of the story.

So I ordered some Version 6 STi struts/springs from a place called Virginia JDM Motors. They sent me pictures of the struts and everything looked on point and perfect. I paid them and they sent em out and got here super fast. When I opened my package I immediately noticed they had not sent me the struts they had shown me in the pictures. Springs dots on the front struts were different, and the a rear springs was an aftermarket eibach spring that looked like it was thrown on backwards and in a panic.

Here are the pictures I was sent by the company:

Here are the struts I received:

Clearly not the same as the pictures I was sent. Also, I was told they only had one set left in stock BEFORE I asked for pictures, so they didn't even attempt to send me pictures of what they actually had.

Also as you can see, that random spring on the rear is just WTF worthy.

I sent them a message and eventually ended up on the phone with them. I went through their entire stock with them with the guy pretty much just asking ME what would fit. "will these version 7s work?" "what about the version 8s?". I kept saying no, and that I needed the things that I ordered. Version 6 STi struts and springs. Eventually they offered me a full refund + return shipping, so I decided to just return it all even though i was one spring away from having the setup I wanted.

I'm happy I was refunded, but still pretty pissed off because it's clear that they didn't send me pictures that I asked for, and threw a random spring on the strut and assumed I wouldn't notice. It was also clear that, like EVERY SINGLE IMPORTER I'VE EVER TALKED TO EVER, they have no idea what parts are which and simply just don't care. I know better than to trust someone else to know what used parts they have, but there's nothing I can do when I am sent a picture of one thing, and receive a box of something else.

Back to square one trying to find V6 STi suspension.

921 - 940 of 2558 Posts