Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

361 - 380 of 2546 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #361

Fuel strainer FINALLY went in. Had been running without one since i bought the car, it seems.

(Yeah it's on backwards in this picture, i fixed it and was too lazy to take a picture haha)

Hopefully fuell won't cut out as much on corners at retentively quick speeds with not much gas in the tank.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
First full fillup on the swap... i've had a pretty heavy foot and managed to get 27mpg. Very cool!

Also still am getting a Code 22 CEL for the knock sensor.. going to replace it i think. Are the USDM WRX/STi/EJ motor knock sensors all the same, or am i going to have to give Dom Toretto a call and overnight one from Japan? I think i remember reading i can use a WRX one, i'll look into it now and see if i can get the answer before it's spoonfed to me.

It's a very intermittent light so it may just be a loose ground, i need to remember to take a look at it BEFORE i drive somewhere and the engine gets hot... should be under the throttle body, yeah?

·
Registered
A Blue RS
2,973 Posts
First full fillup on the swap... i've had a pretty heavy foot and managed to get 27mpg. Very cool!

Also still am getting a Code 22 CEL for the knock sensor.. going to replace it i think. Are the USDM WRX/STi/EJ motor knock sensors all the same, or am i going to have to give Dom Toretto a call and overnight one from Japan? I think i remember reading i can use a WRX one, i'll look into it now and see if i can get the answer before it's spoonfed to me.

It's a very intermittent light so it may just be a loose ground, i need to remember to take a look at it BEFORE i drive somewhere and the engine gets hot... should be under the throttle body, yeah?
Under throttle body yes, yes you can use usdm knock sensors, actually there is a thread that says you can use any knock sensor from a subaru named secretes of subaru knock sensor I'm on tapatalk so I can't spoon feed the link right now

-crash

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Thanks for the spoonfeeding Eli, will pick one up.

Today the car did 400 miles on it's longest trip since the swap.. all was well for sake of the clutch slipping in 5th gear when you jammed the throttle around 80-90mph... hmm.

Car did seem to be misfiring a tad under boost at higher speed and loads too..

All in all no other issues and the car ran great otherwise.

24mpg with 4 people, luggage, full A/C going and 85-90mph.. seems to be alright to me!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Small little update as i guess i have news?

Have a new knock sensor waiting to go on (hopefully this weekend). Hopefully helps clear up my CEL light that comes on after like 30 minutes of driving for it.

Aside from that about 1300 miles on the swap.. still running great. Really need to put a resonator in the exhaust... or SOMETHING... it's too loud.

Will give an update on the knock sensor when i get it on.

Also the damn steering wheel grommet came back out again... hardest part on the entire car and i can't seem to get it right this time around. Already done it correctly once.. haha.

·
aka obs111
2004 WRB WRX
970 Posts
Small little update as i guess i have news?

Have a new knock sensor waiting to go on (hopefully this weekend). Hopefully helps clear up my CEL light that comes on after like 30 minutes of driving for it.

Aside from that about 1300 miles on the swap.. still running great. Really need to put a resonator in the exhaust... or SOMETHING... it's too loud.

Will give an update on the knock sensor when i get it on.

Also the damn steering wheel grommet came back out again... hardest part on the entire car and i can't seem to get it right this time around. Already done it correctly once.. haha.
That freaking grommet almost made me throw some tools and break my car. I hated that thing. It's such a bitch.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
oh good, you didnt blow it up yet :)
I'm sure i'll post that the second after it happens on here lol

Sadly i needs to last me 4 more years... shiiiiiiiiitttt

That freaking grommet almost made me throw some tools and break my car. I hated that thing. It's such a bitch.
I'm about at that point. I hate driving around without it in.. i can just feel the incompleteness.

But seriously.. the steering column moves up and down sometimes.

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
you should slowly start compiling new shortblock parts over the next 6 months in anticipation of a bearing failure. get a matched-phase EJ20 case and crank (so, both phase 1 or both phase 2), then a set of USDM STi rods, some v3/v4 STi pistons (uk seller had some recently), ACL race bearings, ARP head studs, cometic head gaskets. all told about $700 in parts and you'll have an extremely solid new block that will stand years of future revs :)

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #379 (Edited)
Knock Sensor Replacement

Finally got to putting the new knock sensor in.. and so far it seems to have cleared EVERYTHING wrong with the motor up.

No CEL after any kind of driving (hard, normal, low speed, high speed, low load, high load, A/C on, twisties, everything) and feel a LOT LOT LOT smoother through the entire powerband.

Which i guess would make sense seeing as the old knock sensor looked like so:

And new sensor next to the old...

Replacement was pretty easy, just getting to the bolt to get it back on was a bit of a pain. Also removed my TPS connector and forgot to put it back on when i went for a test drive.... DOH! Got all of 2 feet before i was like "oh god.." and then with some help from RS25 chatbox realized i was an idiot and put it back on haha.

Best $11 ever spent on the car it would seem, and like i said just feel THAT much better.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Silv
151 Posts
Good to hear man. Finally got my swap running, loving every bit of the v4 STi goodness. Very strong motor. Question, how much boost are you running? Mine tops out at 1.3 bar which I'm worried is a little too much for Arizona heat

361 - 380 of 2546 Posts