Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

321 - 340 of 2549 Posts

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Bending the lines won't cause an issue. However, if you 'kink' the lines you just make a weak spot and it'll likely blow out with time.

Gentle bends are best, using your thumb for support bend and move along the length of the line as needed keeping from bending too sharp an angle in one spot.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #325 (Edited)
Well A/C lines seem to fit without bending them too much. I mounted them on the opposite side of the little metal piece that the dogbone is mounted to, so opposite of stock location. Seemed to give enough clearance for the IC. Moved the rubber boot thing over so if the IC does want to move enough it'll hit that first.

Also wired in my rice gauge. Wicked bright, probably going to add a resistor tomorrow... or you know.. get actual non terrible gauges haha.

Anyone know know what spark plugs the 20k takes? Thinking that's a good thing to do regardless and i didn't before a put the motor in (doh).

Cruise control seems to not fit at all, in any way shape or form, and that makes me sad. We'll see what i can drum up though..

Just have to put on the turbo heatshields which are the Subaru equivilent of a trying to solve a Rubix cube in the shape of a dodecahedron.

I think i am going to paint the manifold as well, to get it back to stock STi spec. Anyone know what the OFFICIAL wrinkle color is? I've heard the VHT wrinkle red looks more orange.. and i DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT want that.

OH! And i dropped the JDM bumper off at the paintshop today, may have it back tomorrow. Yeeeee!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
JDM Smoother Bumper + Spats and beam

Finally got the rear bumper fixed! Took over 60 days to get insurance money after being rear ended by an old (and i think we can all agree she is a..) hag.

Spent insurance money on a JDM bumper and paint. Looks pretty damn good i think.

Panel gap will be fixed, just need to move the mount up a bit... but it's dark now.. and i'm lazy.

If anyone wants to know, i put drilled two small holes in the lower part of the bumper in order to fasten down the license plate.. though i'd love to get my hands on an actual mount.. once i feel like spending $100 for a brand new one i just may.

This makes me need a V6 lip now... genuine or rep... HUMMM.

S'all for now.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Just caught up from the saga of getting the shell in your driveway. Thanks for the story. Loved the idea of cutting the swap into more manageable sections. Not sure how common that is, but it seems like an easy way to iron out kinks little by little as opposed to having a million bolts to check torque on and a million issues to resolve.

Couple questions if you don't mind:
Did the motor doner show up for the engine shoehorn? I, like you, appreciate good natured mankind.
And could you have found a more busy rug to lay the wires out on?

Keep up with the updates, and good work.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Thanks for the links Eli.

@jonny_o

No the guy who sold me the clip wasn't there for the shoehorn. I had texted him a few days before i planned on getting it in with no response, and then everything just kind of happened really quickly haha. Also that rug is a good rug dang it! :p

Will definitely keep this updated with updates. I need to get my hands on some sparkplugs and wires... kind of been putting it off for no good reason. Will order them tonight, that is my goal. I've already sourced em.

·
Registered
00 BE, 92 BC, 77 celica GT
2,192 Posts
Bending the lines won't cause an issue. However, if you 'kink' the lines you just make a weak spot and it'll likely blow out with time.

Gentle bends are best, using your thumb for support bend and move along the length of the line as needed keeping from bending too sharp an angle in one spot.
Bending lines around a socket is the easiest way.

·
Registered
1992, Legacy Sport, Silver
7 Posts
Hey Exqui, my bro's v4 is running now too! I'm having an issue with the temp gauge. I'm sure its a white/green wire coming from the engine, am I correct? I saw you having issues with your gauge, but it just had to be burped? Our problem is gauge climbing up quickly to 'H' even though the engine is far from getting up to operating temp. It doesn't dance around like people say when a head gasket goes...I'm hoping I just connected the wrong wire or something. I figured you would know :)

Thanks

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Bending lines around a socket is the easiest way.
Yeah i figured it out.

Hey Exqui, my bro's v4 is running now too! I'm having an issue with the temp gauge. I'm sure its a white/green wire coming from the engine, am I correct? I saw you having issues with your gauge, but it just had to be burped? Our problem is gauge climbing up quickly to 'H' even though the engine is far from getting up to operating temp. It doesn't dance around like people say when a head gasket goes...I'm hoping I just connected the wrong wire or something. I figured you would know :)

Thanks
It's a white/green wire on the 00 RS harness and my documents say it's a white/red wire coming from the 20k, and that sounds right to me. I had to burp the system a few times.. took a lot of time to get it right. The system takes just over 2 gallons of coolant and it needs to be filled up. Also needs to run through the heater core to be properly done. If yours is just right to H, it may be a problem with the Thermometer? I honestly haven't a clue, but burping the system correctly would DEFINITELY be a must do.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
A/C is working, turbo heatshields are on. Getting an EGT bung welded into my DP within the week. ECU reads it and as quoted from my dad's coworker "acts somewhat like a poor mans wideband" so methinks that it wouldn't hurt anything to have it functioning (even though i think it only turns on the cat light on the JDM clusters). We'll see.

Still figuring out cruise control... i'm not hopeful.

·
Registered
22B TYPE RA CLONE GM6
52 Posts
best 34 page read in a long time, big inspiration, if you had to rate it hour wise? how many hours do you think you did wiring alone?> mechanical i think i can tackle with some friends in a weekend, seems that the wiring will be the true testament though...

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Glad i could be an inspiration!

Hours put into wiring.. HUMMM... i want to say about 20 hours or so do it all. Diagrams, organizing, cutting, labeling, solding, everything.

Though i will say once i update my documents for the wiring it shouldn't take anymore more than 10 hours to wire up a 20k to an 00RS. Loads of time being spent trying to document the wiring since it's something i know very little has been written about.

That being said i'm sure my document for the merge won't be 100% correct because there were like 1 or 2 connections that were changed and not documented and i have completely forgotten the specifics (what color wire and what pin, what pin they went to, etc).

Best advice i can give you is to spend more time looking at diagrams and documenting your connections and what goes to where than you do cutting and soldering. Helps you be organized and get thing right the first time (looking at you Bob), and helps everyone else who wants to do the wiring themselves.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,255 Posts
If you're looking for a rear license plate bracket, I could ship you mine for the cost of mailing it. I finally stripped my V4 STi down.

BTW, glad to see you're running too!

Edit: nevermind, it's welded on there :(

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
EGT Bung welded in, seemed to smooth out the car quite a bit smoother, though it may just be the butt dyno saying so.

Ran the CEL, getting a knock sensor fault, and according to the service manual the car switches to a map with 5% retarded timing. It's 100% safe, i just lose power.. which is alright enough.

Going to try to mix in some 110 octane leaded fuel tonight, so pray for my O2 sensor.

Also i need to redo the purge system it seems, as the fuel tank gauge doesn't go down... unless you undo the cap. Going to gut the 99+ canister and route in the STi one. I kept everything.. and i THINK i have everything i need. We'll see.

Will report back with more details once i get some.

321 - 340 of 2549 Posts