Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

301 - 320 of 2548 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I was jk, I remember my first turbo.

That was no 'close encounter', that was an in your face(with a tree) legit encounter.

I was going to edit my post and mention to just not go 100mph on gravel roads or around corners and you'll be fine. :sunny:
Not my first turbo, but definitely my first car putting out this much power.

My Mazda was a handful at the time too, just have to acclimate.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Car feels like it's misfiring around 2400rpm almost all the time starting from a stop, but only around 2400rpm...

Nothing audible.. methinks it's knocking...

Throwing an intermittent CEL... thoughts?

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,345 Posts
Not my first turbo, but definitely my first car putting out this much power.

My Mazda was a handful at the time too, just have to acclimate.
No doubt...
Re: 'close encounter', I wasn't talking about the tree,
i was referring to the cloaked fellow with the scythe.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Sparkplugs coil connection? Wires

-crash
new spark plugs! (if you havent already)
This will be my first step after the running CEL, more than likely

check the CEL?
Going to try to. Service manual says i need to connect the read memory connectors... though... to do so would require for there to be a connector for me to plug into, hahaha.

My father is going to help me connect it in the proper way, probably needs to be grounded or go to a certain pin on the cluster. We'll see. As my father asked me upon complaining to him about this... "have we ever not figured out anything?".

Today i cleaned the car, took seats and carpet out and the whole 9 yard, vacuumed it up, wiped it down and bolted everything up. Also fixed my handbrake issue, i guess i was just being an impatient boy back in March and hooked up the lines on the interior wrong. Have a nice tight handbrake now.

All lights are off from the car (aside from the intermittent CEL that IS a misfire, not knock) which means ABS and airbags are fully functional. Next on this list after the CEL is A/C. Not sure how i am going to run the lines from the compressor to the box inside the car but i'm sure i'll figure it out. After that i am going to try and get cruise control working.. Probably going to have to fab some mounts for the actuator and then figure out a way to get the throttle cable to work. Still not sure if it's possible, but i left the wiring in the harness in case it is.

Because of the handbrake no properly working i've developed 2 rubbing sounds, one is the drums on the rear and the other is the handbrake cable rubbing on the driveshaft it seems. Drums should just need to wear in, or i can take em back a click. Going to dig around under the car and see why the cable is rubbing tomorrow.

This damn thing looks stupid clean aside from a quarter panel that is slowly getting money towards fixing (have an awesome dent in it), but this fall is going to be brutal on my pockets due to some sort of letter of acceptance to Western Michigan University.

The car seems to be putting smiles on everyone's face who drives it. My father sure let out his inner child tonight without being reckless and that always makes me happy.

More updates soon, i still have a JDM smooth bumper to fill and get painted. Anyone know where i can get a license plate mount that ISN'T from Japan Parts?

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,041 Posts
Probably going to get an exhaust sound clip and a driveby tomorrow. Was going to today but i took too long cleaning the inside up haha.
for sure. and you said that you didn't rev to 6k and it felt fast? what happens when you go to 8k revs :naughty:

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
for sure. and you said that you didn't rev to 6k and it felt fast? what happens when you go to 8k revs :naughty:
Gave it a bit more of the beans today, and wow.. just wow.

Hahaha :mamoru:

Trying to be easy on it until i get the misfire cleared up.. but it runs SO healthy when you are on it.

·
Registered
2001 BRP 2.5rs
1,206 Posts
I wish I had a dad growing up :(.
Cherish him, he won't be around for ever.
For real. Well I have a Dad, but I wish I had one that didn't have so much blind hate towards Japanese cars, let alone work on mine with me like that. Deffinitly lucky.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #316 (Edited)
Washed her today and went to a park to take some pictures. A LOT of people were there so i could only snap two decent (at best) pictures:

(Should note this picture is pretty photoshopped, hence the lack of bumper hanging down)

After that i put aerogaurds back on and tidied up the mudguards and such.

Also recorded this for everyone's listening pleasure.

My father is taking the car to work tomorrow to give it some long driving time to see if the misfire clears up (unlikely) and to show his coworker. Meanwhile i get to swap the bumper on his VW... long story.

Started on this today:

Sanded all the clearcoat off and if i can find my harder for the bondo i'll fill in a few holes and get it off to the paintshop this week. Finally get the rear end damage up that an old lady in a silver Journey just had to cause.

Also this, just because:

Temporary until i find me some olschool Defis or similar.

S'all for now. Will report back with anything important.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
So... The question all the fast people want to know...

Does your boost needle point vertical at full boost?

/anti-rice
LOL it was the easiest way to mount it without spending time i didn't feel like spending.

LIKE I SAID IT'S TEMPORARY RICE YO!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #319

Took this today. Really need to wax the hood and learn how to not let the camera get unfocused :p

Pretty alright without a tripod methinks though.

JDM bumper was filled and sanded tonight and will be headed to the paintshop tomorrow.

Changing plugs will happen soon as well.

Also how have people routed their A/C lines? My RS ones don't seem to fit in the stock mounting place with the IC there.

301 - 320 of 2548 Posts