Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

261 - 280 of 2558 Posts

·
Registered
99 impreaza aspen white
771 Posts
^^^ this is why i chose to rebuild mine to stock spec with acl. i do not want to do this again for a couple years.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #266 (Edited)
Got some coolant in her today, ran her, cleared her up, and she's idling alright.

Rad hoses are still cold though, so no driving.. fans are on.. and i have a coolant temp sensor wire going to nowhere with a connector on it... HUM

Looks like this:

When i pulled it from the bulkhead 20k harness i don't think it was connected to anything, but i did find a connector it hooks up to with a green and white line to it that looks like it goes to the cluster.. would wiring it right into the cluster line be advantageous?

Engine bay is also done up completely

And here is a video of her running a bit.. idles good enough for now, revs alright.... but not revving too high yet, and no load is on it.

Not even going over 4k RPM and it is wicked loud... oops.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Whelp, i'm a moron. That red wire is just a check connector (read: useless at this point) so it doesn't need to go anywhere. Had it labeled as a coolant temp sensor on accident as the actual temp sensor is one pin away, and it's connected up just fine.

Going to add in more coolant tomorrow and burp the hell out of the system and see if i can't get the temp gauge to work and make the rad hoses hot.

If that works then it's time for a test drive.

So recap:

It sits right now and will idle, fans come on and it's drawing coolant in but no temp gauge and the CEL is on. Going to try and fix the former two and figure out how to check codes for the CEL... may be something as simple as an O2 sensor a bit messed up.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Got the temp gauge to work, guess the system just needed some burp action. CEL turned off as well, and rad hoses are warm.

Am leaking a bit of coolant inside the car where the plastic line meets with the heater box... thinking it needs some sealant as when i took my old (broken) one off it didn't have a gasket, and had sealant over it.

Also the intercooler is hitting the clutch MC reservoir.. i put on some spacers but it seems to be hitting it a bit still, anyone have a solution for this issue? WRX MC?

Also i don't know if i can route my A/C lines on the stock point anymore. Should i get WRX A/C lines as well?

Very close to being able to drive this damn thing! She idles great (car is a bit jiggly though at idle) and sounds healthy.

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
great news man with the exception of the heater core line leaking; that's gonna be a bitch to fix.

Are you IC brackets bent? that might be why your top mount is hitting the MC...

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
At least i know where it's leaking from, haha.

And yeah i think my mounts are a bit bent, i'll try and move em a bit.

Also GOOD NEWS!

Just got my $500 cheque from the insurance company of the lady who hit me which means i can fix my bumper!a

Actually going to pick up a new JDM bumper w/ spats and everything in about an hour or so, which is neat. Finally getting the car looking good like it should!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #272 (Edited)

Whelp, the car is facing the other way now... so i'm sure you can hazard a guess at what that means.

Drove her for the first time today in the pouring rain, fog and generally terrible weather. Went to do a small pull and couldn't even get the pedal to the floor before backing off out of terror. This thing is scary fast... most definitely the fastest thing i've ever driven, much less owned. Didn't even rev it to 6k either.

After that small pull the engine was misfiring a tad but seemed to clear up after a bit more of driving. Idles so much smoother now, and sound generally more healthy. I did pop an intermittent CEL that turned on and off a few times while driving but it wasn't misfiring when the light was on, and the light wasn't on when it misfired after the first small pull. No idea what that's about, but i want to get the car back together before i jumped to conclusions.

I also got power steering figured out. Got some WRX lines for cheap, and used the low pressure line to hook up to the cooler and to the rack, and then took my RS high pressure line and bent that with my tube bender to pretty much match the JDM one. Bolts up great and doesn't have a clearance issue at all. Plus i got the clamp on both of the lines, as well as one mounting bolt so they aren't going anywhere.

Here are some comparison pics:

WRX on top, JDM on bottom.

Should have pulled the RS lines out for the pictures but i didn't think of it at the time and just kind of had at it because i wanted to drive!

261 - 280 of 2558 Posts