Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2581 - 2600 of 2601 Posts

·
Registered
2001, Impreza 2.5 RS
36 Posts
Love the updates, tuning especially. Troubleshooting some suspected fueling issues with my version 8 swap at the moment!

Oh and thanks for posting GitHub links as well!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
736 Posts
Where does one score that turbo? I'm about to have to switch back to my VF37 since my garrett shit the bed.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,905 Posts
awww your picture got taken off of top photos and replaced with a stock image posted by admin

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,588
New OEM Center Console

Hey it's been months! You'd think I'd have a badass update about fixing the deer damage, some sweet new tuning stuff, or some weird electronics project I am diving into.. but nope. Literally just a new OEM center console. My old one finally blew the bottom mount out so I figured I'd grab a new one. Wasn't too expensive and yeah, BRAND NEW!

New bottom mount too because the old one was blown out. Pretty sure I immdiately blew out this one as well using the wrong fasteners, but meh.

And of course the issue at hand..

And a filthy interior shot where you can barely tell anything changed!

Honeslty I am way too excited about this.. but that's probably because I haven't touched the Impreza (aside from daily driving) for months.

That's it.

Still need to have time to fix the damage... hoping for some days off of work here soon.

<3

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,589
Long time no speak. Been driving the car up until I got my RX-8 all set and ready to go racing last weekend.

Unfortunately I come back here bearing nothing but garbage news: The only update I have is that I've destroyed yet another fender. Well, by "I" I mean the person who drove over a steel sheet on the highway and flung it into the side of the car.

Made a nice DEEP gouge in the thing and for $140 it's easier for me to just buy a new fender and paint it when I get around to the other side... ughhh. Life is hard when you procrastinate.

Aside from that I've just been driving it, still need to do another wastegate tune revision in the cool weather before it's parked for winter so I'm sure I'll have some updates not too long from now on that. Really hoping to find some time and confidence in a paint shop to get the parts all painting and swapped out to make the car beautiful again. Work is busy, and life is busier and the RX-8 has taken up a lot of my time.

Sidenote for the Mazda: It's absolutely brilliant to drive. Here's a photo of my buddy chasing me down in the rain from Gridlife!

That's it for now. I wish I had more time to spend on the car, but rest assured it's still being driven and enjoyed :)

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,905 Posts
The bottom mounting for the center console is a common break point, at least for me. I discovered the inside box of the console can be removed from the entire assembly so if you find a trashed console at the junkyard that has a perfect box you can swap them out

Reactions: RA_Really

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,610 Posts
The bottom mounting for the center console is a common break point, at least for me. I discovered the inside box of the console can be removed from the entire assembly so if you find a trashed console at the junkyard that has a perfect box you can swap them out
Yup! same for mine, really common breaking point. I decided to upgrade with a plate of aluminum cut to the shape of the floor of the box(upsized screws, same as the ones that hold the rear coupe doorcards) . Wont break now.

The brand new one looks awesome though! Gotta get them while we still can as a lot of parts are going NLA :/

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,592
Yeah I mostly got it because it was also just super nice to not have one that was in crappy shape haha.

Got a drawing for that insert? I could print up some in ABS and it would do the trick. That's a great idea.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
736 Posts
Dang, I just realized you helped me with the arduino DCCD controller a few years back. I contacted you through youtube. Thanks man!

Reactions: bue car

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,610 Posts
Yeah I mostly got it because it was also just super nice to not have one that was in crappy shape haha.

Got a drawing for that insert? I could print up some in ABS and it would do the trick. That's a great idea.
I actually kinda have been wanting to remake it out a sheet of 1/8" carbon fiber have anyway. So now is as good of time as any. I'll measure it out and make a little drawing for you.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
Took a look at your Tune you posted earlier, the 207 is fun to tune. If i may i had a few suggestions based on my experience tuning the 207.

Boost, You really don't need to taper the boost off so much up top. You should be able to carry 19-21psi to redline. Personally i prefer to do a flat boost curve rather than the midrange torque hit of the factory setup.

Fueling, You can lean it up a little bit on pump gas 9:1 AFR is just a waste 10-10.5:1 is plenty conservative for pump gas. Rescale the load up to 3.2-3.3, and corresponding columns if you think you will push the max out of the turbo later on.

Ignition timing, The ej207 can handle a lot of ignition timing without inducing detonation, but that doesn't always mean thats the optimum timing. Theres a fairly wide range of timing where it will still make peak power, compared to other subaru motors. The engine has low compression, and double the quench distance (piston to head). do some pulls with a virtual dyno or stop watch. pull timing until you see the car lose power or slow down. The factory rom has too much to begin with. And again you can rescale the table up to 3.2-3.3 for pushing the limit of the VF turbo

MAF could be scaled up to use all 5v

more of a physical thing but i would have a 3/8npt bung welded into the intercooler endtank on the cold side, plop a GM IAT in there and wire the MAF IAT to that. Rescale the IAT in the rom. I see you already added timing compensations based on temp but it doesnt really do much when you don't know the actual temp going into the engine.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,304 Posts
Long time no speak. Been driving the car up until I got my RX-8 all set and ready to go racing last weekend.
Wait you have a RX-8 Racecar? Where have I been lol.

Oh BTW I figured out the fuel level in my new wagon shell - sort of. I pulled all the 98 fuel sending unit from the scrapped sedan and floats and used those instead. Even though the 02 WRX was IDENTICAL like S/N and all, it apparently was different. I think it spits out higher voltage from the bobbers.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,598
Took a look at your Tune you posted earlier, the 207 is fun to tune. If i may i had a few suggestions based on my experience tuning the 207.

Boost, You really don't need to taper the boost off so much up top. You should be able to carry 19-21psi to redline. Personally i prefer to do a flat boost curve rather than the midrange torque hit of the factory setup.

Fueling, You can lean it up a little bit on pump gas 9:1 AFR is just a waste 10-10.5:1 is plenty conservative for pump gas. Rescale the load up to 3.2-3.3, and corresponding columns if you think you will push the max out of the turbo later on.

Ignition timing, The ej207 can handle a lot of ignition timing without inducing detonation, but that doesn't always mean thats the optimum timing. Theres a fairly wide range of timing where it will still make peak power, compared to other subaru motors. The engine has low compression, and double the quench distance (piston to head). do some pulls with a virtual dyno or stop watch. pull timing until you see the car lose power or slow down. The factory rom has too much to begin with. And again you can rescale the table up to 3.2-3.3 for pushing the limit of the VF turbo

MAF could be scaled up to use all 5v

more of a physical thing but i would have a 3/8npt bung welded into the intercooler endtank on the cold side, plop a GM IAT in there and wire the MAF IAT to that. Rescale the IAT in the rom. I see you already added timing compensations based on temp but it doesnt really do much when you don't know the actual temp going into the engine.
I'd be pretty surprised if I had the fueling overhead to keep the turbo at 21psi to redline, and am unsure of the VE implications of that. I feel like the turbo would also struggle to keep up. Who knows. I've been adding pressure slowly to the boost table and even then the turbo can't keep up.. but I have a feel I am not giving it enough WDGC initially, or that the cat in my DP is a restriction.

Fueling is stock just because it works and I'm not craving much more power. Yeah, I could lean it out but in my head the power gain doesn't outweigh the heat gain. If I start to run out of fuel, that will be the first thing I do because the power gain because much more than just leaning the AFR to lean it.

Timing is something I'd like to revist as I haven't touched it since I solved some mechanical issues with the car. I've definitely seen some other 207s run quite a bit more timing, but my car doesn't feel like a slouch comparatively so it's just been static. Def on my list to refine along with some AVCS tuning.

Using up all 5V of the MAF seems pretty pointless. You are limited by the resolution in your timing/fueling/etc tables that account for load, so the extra sensor resolution wouldn't have any benefit. And of course, running sensors right to their limit points isn't ever really a good idea. I'd rather "over-scale" the MAF and stay within a voltage range less than it's maximum, then wind it out and run into sporadic sensor issues because it isn't quite able to read properly at the limits. Plus the electronics on the ECU have a certain open circuit/short circuit voltage detection which you want to stay within the bounds of.. which is to say 0V on the MAF ADC is a shorted MAF, not an unplugged MAF. But yeah, full range = bad time. Would not recommend to a friend.

IAT timing compensation actually needs to be turned down a bit in that cal, but the newer turbo has helped the car feel like less hot garbage when its.. hot. The intake temp sensor doesn't really need to be spot on for just some basic timing compensations, for me it's basically a binary "hey idiot, shit is hot" sensor than an absolute proper measure of intake temp like you would want for a proper VE calculation for speed desnsity. So yeah, the MAF temp sensor suffices to give the information of the engine bay temperature getting hot. Being less reactive is probably a good thing for this compensation as well. A low debounce would cause really bad driveability issues.

Man, I feel like I got real defensive there.. but I guess there is a method to my madness and a lot of tuning is subjective at the best of times. What someone else wants may be different than what someone else wants and there's never a right answer to either of them!

Reading your OG thread, I saw this:
Did you love it? I've always thought the MX-3s looked like fun cars, and the 1.8 V6 intrigues me.
Oh I LOVED that car. the 1.8 V6 is a slouch, but sounds amazing. Throw in the 2.5 KLZE and you've got a 70hp increase (almost a 50% increase in power) and almost the same for torque. That car was an absolute riot for 17 year old Garrett. I even gave it to my little sister when she got her license.

Wait you have a RX-8 Racecar? Where have I been lol.

Oh BTW I figured out the fuel level in my new wagon shell - sort of. I pulled all the 98 fuel sending unit from the scrapped sedan and floats and used those instead. Even though the 02 WRX was IDENTICAL like S/N and all, it apparently was different. I think it spits out higher voltage from the bobbers.
SHAMELESS PLUG AND PHOTOS: #GRIDLIFE Street Mod Time Attack RX-8 Build - RX8Club.com

There's a bit of a ground change on the GD senders IIRC that isn't in the GC main harness. I think I have the fix documented in my journal from like....7 years ago lol

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,599
Life update involving the Impreza... I bought a house! I has 3 garages, and the Impreza is tucked in nicely with some friends.

Time for some winter building and garage mods... :D

2581 - 2600 of 2601 Posts