·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Looks like WRX lines will fit.

WRX lines:

Current STi lines

I'll be able to keep the cooler as well it seems.

Can anyone confirm they'll work? I can't tell what the bends look like at the rack from the drawings.

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
wrx lines wont work for you. take both your lines to a shop that can make you new lines from both end connectors...

or swap to an earlier style of rack with has the kind of connectors that your JDM lines need
i believe a 93-95 FWD rack would be the best choice, because it has more geometry than the AWD racks, so if youre swapping racks, might as well upgrade

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
wrx lines wont work for you. take both your lines to a shop that can make you new lines from both end connectors...

or swap to an earlier style of rack with has the kind of connectors that your JDM lines need
i believe a 93-95 FWD rack would be the best choice, because it has more geometry than the AWD racks, so if youre swapping racks, might as well upgrade
Hmm you sure? It sure looks like the WRX one's will fit and another friend of my father's who knows a thing or two about Impreza's (he's building a car for RA, haha.. but that's another story) says they should work.

I may pick up a set if i can find one for cheap to see if they will. They look close enough.

Definitely will try and get my hands on a rack that'll work, though Pretty much any Phase 1 (if you will) rack will do the job?

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Also Jake got his exhaust back, i have my N/A exhaust back, downpipe came in, as well as the line for the heater box (THANK YOU SO MUCH iAintFamous)

This means the car can be run as soon as i snag some oil and check wiring!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
MAF sort of put on, all wires are now routed correctly and awaiting tape and wrap.

Need to extend my O2 sensor... but that's for after it's running in closed loop.

Had to use the RHD throttle cable as the distance from the mount to the body was a LOT different than the LHD one, you can see it in the picture.

Dash bar temporarily in place to be able to do this...

Cranks without the ECU in (so it doesn't fire), very awesome sign as far as wiring and the motor are concerned.

Exhaust also went on...

Tomorrow begins the checking of continuity on the ECU connectors and then trying to fire her up!

It was actually pretty funny.. checked the resistance at the battery terminals for the entire system in the car and was getting 0.2 ohms... which meant something wasn't right. Pulled the SBF-5 fuse and that made the jump to 131.5kOhms so that meant that connection was wrong. Fixed the ground and 12V supply and then was still getting 4.3 ohms which meant there was SOME sort of residual current going through the system.. turns out it was that the doors were open so "current" was "flowing" to turn on the overhead lights. Turned the switch inside the car off and BOOM, went up to 131.5 kOhms and that's when everything seemed like it was all set to go... and far it seems good!

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,041 Posts
wow congratz dude, I am about 2 weeks behind you on my swap! I can't wait to fire mine up. What kind of tranny is in this bad boy and did it come with axles? Were your axles the r180s or r160s and did you have any problem using your hubs with the axles? Please lemme know what you found! And keep the vids coming!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
wow congratz dude, I am about 2 weeks behind you on my swap! I can't wait to fire mine up. What kind of tranny is in this bad boy and did it come with axles? Were your axles the r180s or r160s and did you have any problem using your hubs with the axles? Please lemme know what you found! And keep the vids coming!
Came the with the V4 STi transmission and 4.44 FD diff. All R160 stuff as far as i know but it IS the mech LSD. Came with axles and hubs.

I didn't have a problem bolting hubs up.. but i swapped out the entire crossmembers with the hubs attached to em.. also never took the axles out of the hubs.

R180 axles WILL NOT fit in R160 hubs, that's for sure. If you are running an R180 rear end you will R180 axles and hubs. Hope that helps ya :)

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,041 Posts
Came the with the V4 STi transmission and 4.44 FD diff. All R160 stuff as far as i know but it IS the mech LSD. Came with axles and hubs.

Okay, I've got a 555 V-limited engine and transmission and I believe they used the r160 axles aswell

I didn't have a problem bolting hubs up.. but i swapped out the entire crossmembers with the hubs attached to em.. also never took the axles out of the hubs.

I am assuming that the hubs are almost identical to the ones that would have been on the v3 axles so I'm pretty sure my hubs are fine

R180 axles WILL NOT fit in R160 hubs, that's for sure. If you are running an R180 rear end you will R180 axles and hubs. Hope that helps ya :)

Thanks a bunch, everything helps when going through a swap, especially just peace of mind that I don't have to go out and buy more SHIT

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts

a lot of times the import shops don't pair the original rear diffs and axles with the engines/trans or front clips that they originally came with, partly because they are hard to ID, and partly because they don't care. you should doublecheck the rear diff is 4.44 by spinning the input flange/shaft 1 full rotation and see how many times the outputs spin.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
a lot of times the import shops don't pair the original rear diffs and axles with the engines/trans or front clips that they originally came with, partly because they are hard to ID, and partly because they don't care. you should doublecheck the rear diff is 4.44 by spinning the input flange/shaft 1 full rotation and see how many times the outputs spin.
I've already had the transmission and diff in the car driving for a couple hundred miles with the EJ251, all is well, no roasted center diff :)

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Chatbox archive will show that I started AND drove my swap first.

But congrats, on your progress and your revival and improving of your subi.
I'm glad things are working out for you and it's on its way to becoming a reliable ride!

241 - 260 of 2549 Posts