Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2501 - 2520 of 2558 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
That looks like a ton of fun! Racing is tiring enough, let alone while being sick. I say good job on the driving while being sick!

What are you using for a camera and mount? And what about for the Vehicle data? Most I have seen arent compatible with the JDM ECU.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,502
That looks like a ton of fun! Racing is tiring enough, let alone while being sick. I say good job on the driving while being sick!

What are you using for a camera and mount? And what about for the Vehicle data? Most I have seen arent compatible with the JDM ECU.

A super intricate combination of mounts for a GoPro Session.

As for data, I built my own logger that plugs into the OBD port for power/data and mounts on another GoPro mount.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
A super intricate combination of mounts for a GoPro Session.

As for data, I built my own logger that plugs into the OBD port for power/data and mounts on another GoPro mount.
Nice, the video came out really good. I have been having problems with mine being shaky. I had mine mounted on the roll bar this last time.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,505
So I was reviewing footage from last weekend and doing the only type of logging I can do of oil pressure visually...

It looks like I am dropping pressure in high G corners... yikes.. so I am working on building an oil pressure logger, and looking into getting some oil pan baffling before it's too late.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
So I was reviewing footage from last weekend and doing the only type of logging I can do of oil pressure visually...

It looks like I am dropping pressure in high G corners... yikes.. so I am working on building an oil pressure logger, and looking into getting some oil pan baffling before it's too late.
Time for a killer bee pick-up, baffle, and oil pan?

I just recently did the pick up on mine, its a very well built unit. I'll be getting the pan when I get some extra funds.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,508 (Edited)
Time for a killer bee pick-up, baffle, and oil pan?

I just recently did the pick up on mine, its a very well built unit. I'll be getting the pan when I get some extra funds.
I got a couple too... new still in box :lol:
No desire to give Killer B money. They lost me with their lack of research and proof other than "buy it we promise" for their pickups.

First order of business is making sure there is a problem. I've got a Defi logger "piggyback" ready to plug into my unit.

Never mind it says it's AEM stuff, I made it so that the logger sees the same type of data as the AEM plugin for FAST integration to my logger. Planning to try to use this at the track next weekend.

I have a version of RomRaider compiled for use with a proper "Defi logger", but it doesn't seem to work right with the Linux on my logger. Not sure why, so I'll piggyback off the AEM plugin.

If I can verify I have an oiling issue, I've got my eyes on the RCM baffled sump.

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
No desire to give Killer B money. They lost me with their lack of research and proof other than "buy it we promise" for their pickups.

First order of business is making sure there is a problem. I've got a Defi logger "piggyback" ready to plug into my unit.

Never mind it says it's AEM stuff, I made it so that the logger sees the same type of data as the AEM plugin for FAST integration to my logger. Planning to try to use this at the track next weekend.

I have a version of RomRaider compiled for use with a proper "Defi logger", but it doesn't seem to work right with the Linux on my logger. Not sure why, so I'll piggyback off the AEM plugin.

If I can verify I have an oiling issue, I've got my eyes on the RCM baffled sump.
can we see a DANGER TO MANIFOLD please

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
can we see a DANGER TO MANIFOLD please
Yes! :lol:

I’m kinda surprised to hear you say that, at least to me they seems to do more R&D than most other aftermarket parts companies(except maybe grimmspeed). From what I have seen Killer bee parts also are very high quality and made in the USA. I’m not a fan of EL headers but their 321 stainless header is been proven to make good gains over others.

At the end of the day it’s all prersonal preference though. RCM has a proven track record:)lol:) of making good parts.

While you are in there I would at least throw in a brand new OEM oil pick up(or an RCM unitnif they make one), they do have a know issue of cracking at the braze joint.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,511
Yes! :lol:

I’m kinda surprised to hear you say that, at least to me they seems to do more R&D than most other aftermarket parts companies(except maybe grimmspeed). From what I have seen Killer bee parts also are very high quality and made in the USA. I’m not a fan of EL headers but their 321 stainless header is been proven to make good gains over others.

At the end of the day it’s all prersonal preference though. RCM has a proven track record:)lol:) of making good parts.

While you are in there I would at least throw in a brand new OEM oil pick up(or an RCM unitnif they make one), they do have a know issue of cracking at the braze joint.

Don't want to get into it too much because it's a pretty unpopular opinion amongst the community, so my thoughts get flamed back reaaaal fast, but Killer B is using fear mongering as a result a limited quality issue on cars in 2006 or so.

There really isn't a huge issue of failing oil pickups. The pickups have been the same since 1992 when the WRX first came out, and all of a sudden once Killer B starts business there is some HUGE INHERENT ISSUE. There was a small batch of poorly quality pickups, and they latched on to the market to scare everyone into thinking they needed a new pickup.

Even in the description of their product on their website they have this:

"We have all heard the horror stories. You’re just driving down the road minding your own business and then boom your engine blows without warning"

That's not scientific, that's just BS marketing to make you think you need to buy something to operate your car normally.

The kind of failure seen at the brazing of the pickups is all due to vibration. Not heat cycling. The metal the pickup is made from has no issues expanding and contracting, and the brazing is just fine. The kind of vibrations your oil pickup will see depending on a LOT of things, driving conditions included. If you have solid engine mounts, urethane bushings everywhere else, solid crank dampers, and all you do is drive to and from work.. you may have a hell of a lot more vibration and such in your engine than a factory vehicle. Now, if you have all of those things and all you do is race the car (read: change RPMs very rapidly), then the engine is not subject to a constant barrage of vibration and resonance. The ever changing RPM never allows for certain components to vibrate and their natural resonant frequency. OEMs have a lot of design factors like this and control of other components to be able to make something that won't rip itself apart like the Tacoma Bridge.

This is just an example of course.

So yeah, basically because there isn't any information from Killer B on the way their pickup improves the use case of the factory one, the reason they fail aren't the reasons the community (and likely Killer B, but I cannot confirm this) says they commonly fail, and the fear mongering way of marketing, Killer B has lost my business for pretty much everything they sell.

That also being said, I am a bit overly anal about modifications. I like to have a "before" case and "after" case for everything to be able to confirm empirically something has changed for the better. So I have no problem running factory components until I have a set of data that shows how the factory oiling components are doing. I also don't mind spending a bunch of money on a new baffle only to see it doesn't do anything. Now everyone else will know, and there's not a whole lot of dispute with the data. Just how I go about things I guess. The money spent is worth the knowledge gained.

But yeah, Killer B. No good in my eyes. Will the pickup work? I mean yeah, I'm sure.. but so does my factory one.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
16,997 Posts
I like to have a "before" case and "after" case for everything to be able to confirm empirically something has changed for the better. So I have no problem running factory components until I have a set of data that shows how the factory oiling components are doing. I also don't mind spending a bunch of money on a new baffle only to see it doesn't do anything. Now everyone else will know, and there's not a whole lot of dispute with the data. Just how I go about things I guess. The money spent is worth the knowledge gained.

But yeah, Killer B. No good in my eyes. Will the pickup work? I mean yeah, I'm sure.. but so does my factory one.
More people need to have this view on things, Killer B does feed of the fear of failures and i can tell you from being in different car crowds over the years, subaru enthusiasts are the most gullible of the bunch, almost to the point of being dumb. A bigger more expensive example would be IAG shoving $4k short blocks down peoples throats who are making 320whp, same marketing strategy. I dont buy their air oil separator or engine oil flow blockoff thingy either, the quality of their products is top notch though but i dont buy into anyones marketing.

My reasoning for using Killer B stuff is uprated pan capacity, more oil more better, and their pickups generally dont pinch closed if the pan takes a hit. Ive seen tons of OEM pickups close and cook a motor in our rally cars when they take a pan hit.

Lets make a DIN fitment data monitor that runs off ROM raider that takes analog inputs and can log it all. I have almost a dozen of the PSI3 data monitors if you want to take some apart and play with them.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,210 Posts
I bought mine on sale, for the larger oil capacity. Price of the pick up is just a little more than OEM back them so why not? I liked the extra pointing points, however, I agree that there is no vibration data on their pick up...one can only ASSUME it's better. Who knows, the material actually used may have a lower vibration rating than OEM....

I stopped being a fan boi of companies after Grimmspeed did their N/A AOS then pulled it from the shelves. This was after doing heavy research I guess before release then more after / complaints.

I gave up the 'I need the latest now' and have saved so much money and watched so much go on...

+1 to your opinion

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,514
More people need to have this view on things, Killer B does feed of the fear of failures and i can tell you from being in different car crowds over the years, subaru enthusiasts are the most gullible of the bunch, almost to the point of being dumb. A bigger more expensive example would be IAG shoving $4k short blocks down peoples throats who are making 320whp, same marketing strategy. I dont buy their air oil separator or engine oil flow blockoff thingy either, the quality of their products is top notch though but i dont buy into anyones marketing.

My reasoning for using Killer B stuff is uprated pan capacity, more oil more better, and their pickups generally dont pinch closed if the pan takes a hit. Ive seen tons of OEM pickups close and cook a motor in our rally cars when they take a pan hit.

Lets make a DIN fitment data monitor that runs off ROM raider that takes analog inputs and can log it all. I have almost a dozen of the PSI3 data monitors if you want to take some apart and play with them.
Yeah a DIN monitor would be nice.. and there are actually some screens that fit nicely in a single DIN pocket. No drivers off the shelf exist for them and I don't REALLY want to write drivers... but I'm not opposed. I really don't like LCDs in cars mounted permanently. I like my logger because I can just shove it in the glovebox when I don't feel like logging stuff.

The PSI3 stuff is unfortunately just romraider, but less pretty and more limited. It's the same parameters it's grabbing, so it's really quite outdated. I would argue that my logger is the closest thing to a fully embedded logger for Subarus specifically. It would also be quite easy to tether it into a double DIN with a component input.

I bought mine on sale, for the larger oil capacity. Price of the pick up is just a little more than OEM back them so why not? I liked the extra pointing points, however, I agree that there is no vibration data on their pick up...one can only ASSUME it's better. Who knows, the material actually used may have a lower vibration rating than OEM....

I stopped being a fan boi of companies after Grimmspeed did their N/A AOS then pulled it from the shelves. This was after doing heavy research I guess before release then more after / complaints.

I gave up the 'I need the latest now' and have saved so much money and watched so much go on...

+1 to your opinion
Yeah I mean I'm sure the Killer B pickup works, and for most people if it works they will literally never see if it's better/worse.

The RCM pickup actually mentions that it's added a damper in, which I like. At least they tell you WHY they designed things they way the did even if it's just that. Just a bit more transparency (for me) means all the difference.

2501 - 2520 of 2558 Posts