Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2241 - 2260 of 2551 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,242 (Edited)
GRIDLIFE Midwest - Gingerman Raceway June 7-10 2018

Another year and another Gridlife Midwest in the books. Each year keeps getting better and better both with the driving experiences, as well as the company and event professionalism. Super impressed. Have a hell of a lot to say, but I already know I'm gonna be missing out on a few things. I'll start it off with the craziness of trying to even MAKE it to the track.

Phase 1: Get there

While I had done all the preparation I could to be able to both get to the track 3 hours across the state, race for 3 days, and drive the 3 hours home all in the same car, there are always those few things that you just can't plan for. I had a tune that was safe (slow, but safe), an oil cooler, 50w synthetic, fresh coolant and fixed coolant leaks, fixed boost leaks, suspension all set to go, Hawk DTC-30s ready to take a beating, and yet still fate is never one you want to mess with.

On the evening before I was set to leave with my friends to head to the race track, I noticed a bit of coolant sitting on the bumper. "The bumper?!" you may think.... yes. The bumper. Very odd place for coolant to leak on to, that is of course unless it was leaking from the front of your plastic side tank radiator because of a monster crack that JUST so happened to pop open at the most inconvenient time.

Whelp, that's a bother.

I didn't panic, I just went into GET IT FIXED mode. I called up some people I knew with some radiators and 3 hours later ended up with a cobblemesh of various radiators in my garage which included: A GC non turbo Koyo with slim fans I was ready to tap in an extra coolant line to, as well as a random GD non turbo (maybe?) radiator with single speed fans. None of those seemed to be the best option.

I called my friends and told them to leave without me in the morning and that I'd catch up.. be in the Impreza or in the Mini. Whatever it was, I was getting some track time.

It turned out that the V4 STi radiator (what I had in there) was actually the same as Phase 1 Legacy turbos (think 91-94 2.2 turbo), and they actually had a radiator they could get to their store not too far at O'Reilys tomrrow (Thursday) morning at 9:30am.

Done. I like it. I'll be there.

I didn't even wait for the phone call, I jumped out of bed and headed on down there and luckily enough it was the proper radiator and it was allll mine for a measly $115! Or something like that... I don't know, I just threw my credit at them and said GO GO GO.

Not really.

Either way, I headed home with my stroke of good luck and popped in the radiator.

Filled her up with some coolant, packed my bags and off I ran to the racetrack.

3 hours and a single sunburned arm later (hey, it can't all be easy for us white people) I made it just in time to watch my friends head out to do their time attack sessions

As the sun set on an eventful day already, I set up shop and raided the beer to relax.

End of phase 1.

Phase 2: Race time.

Not a whole lot of super long stuff to say here... it's racin' and it's a blast! Friday was the busiest day of the bunch as the weather played pretty happy. Got my sessions in and felt the car out. I checked data after the first two runs and kept my eyes on my gauges.

I'll break down my findings:

Tune

Nothing too exciting, if anything a bit sad. Boost held great, there was no knock, only issue was that 70% throttle and 100% throttle in both 3rd and 4th were the same thing. There's much more room for power and response now that the fueling is on point (it had been running lean due to a bad MAF). I didn't want to make timing changes while it was running well enough to feel quick too close to the event, so I left it wet noodle-y. Not a huge deal, I wasn't trying to set lap records, or even quick times, or even sorta kinda quick laps, or even like "he ran a ringer lap and now he's back to backing into things in the paddock" laps.

Temperatures/Pressures/Gauge Readings

The car ran very cool considering the ambient (low 80s) and abuse. I can probably attest that to the dull knife of a tune, but regardless the car did. Oil temp slowly climbed to about 105*C and stayed constant until I either hit a coolant down lap, or spunout.

Per my logs (set to start on engine startup via the tactrix and SD card) coolant temp never reached above 208F and stayed pretty damn cold hovering around 190-200*F. Again, can probably attest that to lack of abuse of the engine.

Oil pressure never dropped below 4.5bar even at full temp. Perfect

Brakes

First time using the Hawk DTC-30s. I was EXTREMELY impressed. Great stopping power, great feel, stayed present at high temperatures... I did notice as the brakes warmed up quite a large amount of vibration in the steering wheel... we came to find out this was a cracked rotor likely due to getting super hot and having water splashed on to the rotor.

I want to move to a multi-piece but stick with the FHI 4 pots. We will see.. love the pads, and my friends seemed to be a little jealous of the performance compared to what they were running.

Suspension

While the Ohlins performed well, I went to adjust the dampers to my track setting and noticed the back driver's side adjuster wasn't operating properly. Really sucky. I didn't want to unbalance the car, so I just ended up cranking up the front to my race spec. I think this was a big issue with some of the liftoff oversteer I was feeling, but at the end of the day I really need some stiffer springs, bigger rollbars and probably a damper rebuild. Used parts, eh!

Alright, enough yammer, here's some pictures. I took screenshots so the resolution is low, but god PLEASE thank these photographers for their work, I've left all the watermarks and everything in because they deserve the credit. I'll be ordering a few prints because I like to support them coming out to these events.

And of course videos:

First session out, nothing too exciting

Spinout in T7-8 because I lifted like a loser.

It poured rain in the mornings some days and out camp site was a bit wet... but the weekend was amazing whether it was being on track with my friends, talking to people who asked if the car was an RS, or if I imported it, sitting at night on lawn chairs shining my huge Milwaukee light on girls while my friends gave them a 0-10 rating, or partying with the dumpster fire that is the camping area of Gridlife. It's all wonderful and probably one of the most anticipated 4 days of the year.

I learned a lot about taking turns 7 and 8, came through with more speed than I ever have before. I don't think I set any faster lap times, though my damn lap timer only worked about 20% of the time and the best lap I saw was 4 seconds off my best time with the old engine. Like I mentioned this was really a good shakedown for track days to come. I'm probably gonna run time attack at round 5 in the fall and hopefully have a tighter and peppier car and THAT'S when I'll put down some times.

I'm sure there's a TON more, but I'll update that as I remember.

:)

EDIT: Oh wait I already forgot, rotor carnage! Not as bad as i've seen before, but.. bad nonetheless.

Oh and here is my log from the track: datazap.me | equinox92 | Gingerman - Gridlife 2018 - Combined

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,733 Posts

How much for a print of this? I'd hang it in the garage.

Also, what tires were you running?

Second also (like second breakfast but better), I will definitely be seeing you at this event in the future. It sounds amazing.

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Great Re-cap. I need track time. You're making me jealous!

Glad the car ran well! The spin looked fun :lol:

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,245
How much for a print of this? I'd hang it in the garage.

Also, what tires were you running?

Second also (like second breakfast but better), I will definitely be seeing you at this event in the future. It sounds amazing.
Look up NVUS images, I'm not sure what pricing is like.. but I'm gonna find out!

Definitely come out to this event. It's insanely fun and caters to whatever needs you have. If you want to hardcore race, you can hardcore race. If you want to hardcore party, you can hardcore party. I prefer a happy middle ground.

Great Re-cap. I need track time. You're making me jealous!

Glad the car ran well! The spin looked fun :lol:
You need track time! We both need track time.

The spin was perfect, completely drama free. I was more worried about getting off the line more so than spinning out. No harm, no foul.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,247
tossed on my new front rotors tonight. Old ones were definitely toast. hrmm.

Also put back in a cardboard insert on the front of the oil cooler to make sure oil stays warm enough on the street. I'll deal with that when the oil get change next.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
A couple different companies make inline oil thermostats if you wanted a more pemanent route.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,733 Posts
A couple different companies make inline oil thermostats if you wanted a more pemanent route.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
His system is thermostatically controlled, just not functioning the way he would like.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,253
JDM Rear Wiper

Hoooookay. So. I got the glass put in with all the other work that was done, as well as the mechanical wiper pieces in to prevent anything from leaking. Finally just now had the time and part to wire it up properly to get it functional.

Some pics are from a while ago, so bear with me.

So first things first, I replaced the rear decklid with the proper STi one with the cutout for the wiper. It was also interesting to note that it did NOT have holes for the little bolt in seat strap things that were on my RS one. Kinda kewl I suppose.

I then had to buy a new motor as the retainer nut was blown right off.. I don't know if this is a common thing but... yeahh....

Install of the motor was pretty simple. Two bolts on the bracket pop it through the hole and use the retainer nut for the rest.

I ended up grabbing a two way relay from the junkyard, along with pigtails for the relay and motor. I also grabbed a spare rear harness that was chopped up to add in two pin to the rear harness so the stalk (also from the junkyard, I believe from an Impreza wagon) could send power to the relay. The wiring is already in every bulkhead for the stalk as well as the second pump motor (in the container up front) so the wiring has pretty much point to point to the relay and wiper motor with a 12v line and ground actuated line coming to the rear of the car from the front.

I used the V4 STi wiring diagram to wire it all up, but I'm sure the Impreza wagon stuff is the same. I also routed the wiring from the rear harness

Some pics of the wiring:

Could have been a tad bit cleaner, but I didn't want to rip the entire rear harness out to redo it all as it really had diminishing returns on effort.

Next thing to do was to run the spritzer line and add in the reservoir up front. The reservoir came from my V4 halfcut and bolted/plugged/wired right in.

The line is run inside the car next to the fuel lines and comes out to the front of the car via a grommet near the door harness grommet. There is another grommet up in that area, but it's not the right one to use.. so if you're doing this install just keep in mind to use the harder one to get to!

Routing through the fender. All OEM clips to clip right into as well

Pardon the mess..

And tada! We have a wiper!

Super excited to have this working in my life. It's a long story as to why I required the rear wiper and I suppose I can get into that...

My first car was a 93 Mazda MX-3 special edition that had been in a wreck, and because of that the rear hatch was replaced with one from a non special edition. Well you see, the special editions had a rear wiper... and ever since then I had chased that rear wiper. Sounds pretty stupid, but it's one of those little stupid things I can't control. When I heard the Impreza had a rear wiper for it, I had to have it. It also will most definitely come in handy wiping off rain off the rear window while my car sits at work. I can't stand water marks and crap on glass because it blocks my view and my eyes are sensitive enough as it is.

So hey, super stoked this is fully operational, plus mad JDM pointz yo!

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
Damn. So much work but like you said mad jdm pointz yo! I spotted another RS on the way to work a few weeks back and I spotted his rear wiper and jdm rear bumper from more than a quarter mile away. Definitely a spotting feature of a dedicated 93-01 owner.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Does yours return to resting position? Mine would stop wherever it was when I shut it off and I've seen a lot of wagons with the wiper in all different positions. I may have gotten my harness from too early a model, it only had the relay and no other components in the harness

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,259
Bahhhhh, rant.

Found a nail in my tire.

Went to get my tire patched, and brought them just the tire.

They put my tire on in the wrong direction.

I've been driving the Mini this week.

WAHHHHH.

Sidenote: Updated the timing on my tune, bumped er up, and so far she riiiiiips!

2241 - 2260 of 2551 Posts