Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998, subaru, impreza L black
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for some equal length headers for my 98 2.2L so i need single port headers. i dont care about the sound of the headers i care more about the power gain in the low end because i autocross ALOT. and from the information i read i will get the most gain from equal length headers. i also read that there is no company that makes equal length headers for a single port. so i am curious if that still stands or if you guys know any companies that make them.

but if i have to make my own i heard some where that stepping up the size of the header as it goes out adds a little low end power so instead of come right off the manifold at 2.25 but stepping it up to 2.25 say a foot or 2 away from the manifold will help me gain more low end power but is their any truth to this? or personal experience. and if any of you guys have made your own PLZ PLZ let me know

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Obs White 2.2L 5MT
1,319 Posts
Borla is the only one that makes em, but look at spending more than 300 bucks for a set.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
no equal length headers in the market for single ports. your going to have to go custom or find a really good exhaust shop to fab one up for you.

if you want UNequal lengths you should get the borla's. gives the car a nice rumble sound.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I made one.....but it was a bitch. I don't have dyno numbers to see where gains are or by how much. It shouldn't be too hard to have a mild steel header made up.

What car and class?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
its a 98 2 door L and i run in STS
Good luck with that.....You're stuck with the stock cats, so you might as well get a Borla, or take the car to a muffler shop and have them reroute the header into the 1st cat so it has some sort of flow. The Borla would probably be of some help...but you are limited by that stock cats and the wrong car for the class....No header is going to give you enough power to overcome the singleports and stock cats.

I suggest a Borla header, straightpipe after the cats and 15" wheels if you aren't already running them. Maybe even 14's if the RE-01R's are available in a 225 width.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts