Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Impreza L 2.0
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not new to this forum but i would like to know what is the difference in a open or closed engine block. and also the strengths and weakness of the ej20g

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
open block- cooling jackets completely around cylinders, open spaces.
closed block- solid area between cylinders, good for boost.
the ej20g is a good motor, but they all have been beaten to hell in japan and finding parts is difficult.

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
EJ22T (closed deck):

EJ257 (semi closed):

EJ205 (open deck):

·
Registered
95 Impreza L 2.0
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so is it possible to get to 300+ whp on a ej20g open block or am i wasting my time with this setup

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
It's definitely possible to get 300+whp pretty easily, but the reliability factor will decrease with the increase of power. The EJ20G, first off, is open block like you said. Secondly, they're known for being somewhat problematic, internally speaking. I think you should go with a stronger block. Spend the time and money now in getting a closed block or an STI block and you'll worry less later about blowing it up. They're also easier to get parts for :)

·
Registered
V4 Sti BRP, 98LGT SP, 94SVX PW
731 Posts
Not all EJ20Gs are the same.
Some are closed deck.
Most were 245-285 HP stock. So 300 shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L 2.0
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and im guessing the only way to know if it s open or close is to take off the heads also is it possible to add the closed block or simi closed block after having the swap done say if i run a stand alone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts