Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
x
2000 BRP RS sedan
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to do my own clutch job according to this writeup http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/clutch/clutch2.html

Everything is going fine (minus the mount for the starter being cracked upon removal) until it came time to pull the engine apart from the tranny. I tried pulling it, then tried a little prying but can't seem to find the right tool for the job that won't mess up the seal.

Anyone got any past experience, tips?

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
metal putty knife... and you got to beat the living shit out of it... I usually start from the top, get the putty knife in (so you get a little (very little) seperation) then move onto something a little bigger like a screw driver. There is no way you are going to be able to do this without messing up the mating surface a little.

You also have to remember that there are pins, towards the bottom, which is what you will be fighting with.

Check out my write up in the DIY section on engine removal, I have quite a few pics in there...

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
this part always sucks... we usually end up pounding the shit out of it till it comes apart... i have tried jacking it apart with a little success but it takes a long time.

Chris

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
I used a flat head screwdriver and a BIG hammer. It split. once you get it out use some emory paper, or fine grit sandpaper to clean up the dowels on the bottom so it goes in easier.

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
I have decided to do my own clutch job according to this writeup http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/clutch/clutch2.html

Everything is going fine (minus the mount for the starter being cracked upon removal) until it came time to pull the engine apart from the tranny. I tried pulling it, then tried a little prying but can't seem to find the right tool for the job that won't mess up the seal.

Anyone got any past experience, tips?
edit: forgot to mention that there i no seal there. there is no fuid to leak out of there. o yeah there also may be a dust shield on the bottom of the engine attaching it to the tranny

you can get kind of rough with it... youll be ok so wont the trans/engine. but just remember that there is 2, 5" long studs on the bottom of the engine that go through the tranny. once you see a small gap all the way around the engine/tranny they are seperated. just keep wiggling. those studs can be a lil biotch sometimes...

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
You have to get *really* rough with it. Pry on it with a crowbar or putty knife while shaking the engine/transmission as violently as you can.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Sometimes it's too close a fit at the top to get in the putty knife, so I ground an old one down to razor sharp and beat it in there with a mallet. It'll go just a little bit, then you can move on to a screwdriver.
It took T3hwit and I 3 hours to get mine apart one time.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I start with a putty knife as well. As soon as I get a gap opened, I start spraying PB blaster on the sides to let it penetrate around the dowels. Gradually and evenly work the gap bigger with a screwdriver, flat punch, prybar, etc. Starting with a putty knife will minimize damage to the mating surfaces. They clean up nice with a file and elbow grease.

·
Vrooom?
98 Subaru 2.5RS Brilliant Red
903 Posts
^ ditto...wait till you put them back together =P

·
x
2000 BRP RS sedan
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I will try using a smaller putty knife and work in the already used prying areas.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Patience is another important tool to keep with you too....it'll come apart.....eventually.

·
Registered
00' OBS
82 Posts
When I did my clutch, I had a set of ratcheting tie downs laying around. I attached one of the hooks to the tranny and one to the toe hook. Started to ratchet them down while another person watched to see if they separated. Took like 5 mins. We had a jack under the tranny and another jack under the engine to make sure they didn't fall too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts