Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003 Impreza Outback Sport wagon. I want to know how difficult it would be to swap in the drivetrain from a WRX or STI. My car is an auto and would want to make it a manual. Would there be a lot of custom fabrication involved? Need to hear from people who have done this or something very similar. Thanks!

· Registered
21 Posts
I am looking at swapping for an STi drivetrain myself, my car is a manual tho.

i called some wreckers down the road from me and they said they can do it pretty easily. they have to swap the tranny and whole diff, but on the plus they said they would do a direct trade, i just have to pay for labour...not sure about the differences from an auto tho. hopefully i can bump this up and some guru can sort you out.

· Registered
1991 Legacy Turbo
214 Posts
I am looking at swapping for an STi drive train myself, my car is a manual tho.

i called some wreckers down the road from me and they said they can do it pretty easily. they have to swap the tranny and whole diff, but on the plus they said they would do a direct trade, i just have to pay for labor...not sure about the differences from an auto tho. hopefully i can bump this up and some guru can sort you out.
Unfortunately It is no where near that simple...

First, it depends what engine you are going for. The usdm wrx engine is the most popular and probably the easiest (along with earlier JDM engines). The STi on the other hand will have a whole slew of other issues to work around.
Although everything bolts in pretty straight froward (at least with the wrx), you will need things like a new crossmember (or modify the existing one), and the wiring harness. And thats just for the engine, If you want a STI 6sp, there are more issues (price ~3000), incorporating the DCCD, etc.

I have only touched the tip of the iceberg, read this forum, that is what it is all about.

No "wreckers down the road" will be able to do this job, and If it is a direct trade, then I want their number. You are looking at a few thousand for a wrx swap and a hell of a lot more for an STI. You are going to be looking at at least a grand for just the harness merge, If not considerably more, and then all the work that comes with it. If you want to be turbo'd for cheap, usdm wrx is what I would go for and swap just the motor.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36864 <---a good start for reading.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 <-----then go to town reading here

I also just noticed that you are both in 02+ cars, IMHO, just trade up. It will be cheaper, easier, and more reliable.

· The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
6,720 Posts
Unfortunately It is no where near that simple...

First, it depends what engine you are going for. The usdm wrx engine is the most popular and probably the easiest (along with earlier JDM engines). The STi on the other hand will have a whole slew of other issues to work around.
Although everything bolts in pretty straight froward (at least with the wrx), you will need things like a new crossmember (or modify the existing one), and the wiring harness. And thats just for the engine, If you want a STI 6sp, there are more issues (price ~3000), incorporating the DCCD, etc.

I have only touched the tip of the iceberg, read this forum, that is what it is all about.

No "wreckers down the road" will be able to do this job, and If it is a direct trade, then I want their number. You are looking at a few thousand for a wrx swap and a hell of a lot more for an STI. You are going to be looking at at least a grand for just the harness merge, If not considerably more, and then all the work that comes with it. If you want to be turbo'd for cheap, usdm wrx is what I would go for and swap just the motor.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36864 <---a good start for reading.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 <-----then go to town reading here

I also just noticed that you are both in 02+ cars, IMHO, just trade up. It will be cheaper, easier, and more reliable.
Much truth is spoken here. Most of those who are swapping engines are doing it the older RS. If you have a newer (GD) Impreza, you aren't really gaining much except perhaps shaving off some insurance cost compared to a WRX. It wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.