Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the EJ20T engine fit in a 1998 2.5rs impreza? what all would i need to get to complete the job?

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Yes, most late model subaru engines are interchangeable, especially the 4-cylinder ones. It'll bolt up, but the challenge is wiring which is a PITA. Engine it self goes for around $3k USD. There's a place here in cali that'll do a whole swap for you, costs about $7k (including engine) for everything said and done.

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Your going to need a lot of more stuff. I know I am going to skip a bunch of things but...
If the engine doesn't come with any exhuast you will need to pretty much replace all of it. turbo header, uppipe, downpipe, mid section, rear section. US GC exhaust will not bolt up. You can use it but you will have to cut and reflange a pipe somewhere.
(est $1250)
A turbo crossmember (turbo Legacy, WRX, JDM) will be required for fitment of the exhaust.
(est $150-200)
A WRX or JDM front sway bar and mounts.
(est $200)
Your stock clutch or at least pressure plate will need upgraded. You will have access so you might as well replace it all. There is much debate over this, but in my opinion a clutch disk with no more than 30% more holding power with a stronger pressure plate will keep you from removing the teeth in your tranny.
(est $600 disk,pp,flywheel)
If there is no ECU you will need gizmos to manage fuel and thermal efficiencies.
(est $300-1000)
Gauges to monitor all that's going on.
($300-800)
Then there's countless hoses, lines, and other misc parts
(est the car gods only know)

The wiring is the most time consuming part of swaps. If you don't have wiring diagrams for the shell and motor then it's even worse.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff. Turbo charging a car is a finacial endevour and it's not for everyone. Is it worth it? I would say hell yes. I haven't ridden in a RS-T yet, but I've been in modded WRX's and had a 10 second supercharged Mustang before my RS and it was worth all $8000 I had into it. I have a JDM Ver2 motor and drivetrain sitting in my garage itching to be installed and I am pretty sure it will be worth every penny and drop of blood I put into it.

·
bla..bla..bla
62 Posts
motor swap

I'd double check the prices of the motors on that site. At least call and see what all comes with the motor. You may be surprised, and find that all it is, is the long block or short block itself. Normally when something sounds too good to be true it is. I looked for months to locate the best price I could on a complete swap. I ended up using a usdm wrx motor in my swap. I bought the entire drivetrain, and all three wiring harnesses. The swap is about a 50-70 hr. endeavor depending on your experience, and figuring that you have all of the parts you need. You can expect to be into the swap at least $4000 in parts if you're doing the motor alone, and more so if you decide to do a drivetrain swap. But it is all worth it once it is said and done. Definately try and locate something that is complete(ex. comes with all needed parts, turbo crossmember wiring harness, ecu, etc.). Good luck. IF you decide to stay away from the motor you already found, talk to greg555 on nasioc. He'll be able to help you find a motor.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
engine

the engine comes with "Engine complete with intake, injectors, exhaust, turbo, coils, etc." this is the e-mail they sent me. so i need to figure out the rest of what i need.

·
bla..bla..bla
62 Posts
more stuff

You'll need the front engine crossmember, preferably out of a wrx, but like puckaveli said a turbo legacy crossmember will work. You'll need the ecu and you'll probably need the center wiring harness, and the dash wiring harness. Expect to pay about $800 to a thousand for those three pieces. This is just assuming that the motor comes complete with the engine wiring harness.
A turbo back exhaust. A wrx exhaust will bolt right on to a gc8, there is only one hanger that needs to be rotated 180 degrees.

You'll also need to upgrade your fuel pump, and possibly the fuel sending unit.
I used the gauge cluster out of the 03 that my drivetrain came from, so it saved some headache of not having to splice.

I'd ask for a picture of the motor they say they have for sale. If they are legit that is an incredible price. I'd take some precautions, and hope for the best. I've seen jdm clips come in great shape, and i've seen them come with lots of problems. I'd do some research on this company, and try and contact someone who's bought from them in the past. Just my $.20 Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
do this the right way the first time or else you will be kicking your own ass.

1.either find a usdm wrx motor,w/ecu and wiring harness. with that motor you will have to use you 2.5rs tranny and rear diff. You will also have to find a crossmember that pepole have told you already.

2.Buy a front clip(jdm) and you will have all most everything you need, wiring diagrams are a pain to find but it is possible. Make sure to get a rear diff that will work with you tranny if you dont use the 2.5rs tranny.You can get one with the clip sometimes.

for both swaps you will need supporting stuff that other post have implied.

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
What year is the motor out of? I have JDM service manuals for 96 and older Impreza's.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
EJ20T... hmmm, since the intake manifold is not red its not a later STi. You could have an old RX turbo or an early WRX (non STi) which was rated well below the 280hp STi. I'd try to get a serial number and track its lineage, find out the milage, obviously every nut/but that comes with it, etc.

·
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Well judging only from the fact that they call the motor an EJ20DET they might not know what they have there thus the low price. The guys I bought mine from didn't really buy a lot of JDM Subaru motors and when they did they were sold to rail buggy guys, so I got it for cheap price. Bill would be proud.

Ask for better pics and details. Also if they aren't to far away go there and have them fire up the motor for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
engine

like you i am in ohio, they are in california. go to the site www.nippon-motors.com and check it out and let me know what you think. they seem to have little knowledge judging from the e-mails they have sent me. also it is engine only no computer or ecm etc. just engine exhaust and little more. i am just trying to find the best deal while finding the best product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
noobie here, with a question (with an answer probably in several different parts). I'm currently locked into a lease (ugh), until Oct 2005, at that time, I'm planning on picking up an '01 RS (I like the body style, etc). So, I'm trying to get as much info as possible, in the next, oh, couple years, so I can get this done right, the first time).

The question/plan:

I found a JDM EJ207 (1997 WRX STi motor (JDM), for about $7500. The question is, what all would be needed, to put that into an 01 RS chassis? Not to mention, fuel, direct bolt in, etc. I'm very new to Subarus, but have been researching. Any info would be appreciated.

In all honesty, I could probably get a new STi, but would rather save $10-12,000, and build something that would hand it it's ass.

-Drew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts