Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 2000 2.5 RS
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my motor just died and I am now trying to figure out if I can afford a swap and how long it will take. I have a cool mechanic that works on my car for cheap, but he doesn't know much about these swaps so I'm trying to find something that will be easier. I have a 2000 2.5 RS so from what Ive read if I get a V3 or V4, someone help me on that one, JDM motor the wire harnesses will be about the same and hook up pretty easily?? Then I was wondering what you guy think about website like these, http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/engine/subaru.html or http://www.jdm-online.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2 If I was to buy one of those set ups how easy would it be to put it in and make everything work? I need lots of help and fast. Thanks!!

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Uh.. I'm afraid you're asking for alot of info here. What you seek is not a trivial topic that can be answered easily in a single post or two. You're going to have to hit the search button hard and fast. There is soooo much info here about swaps, it's impossible to corral easily. Swaps are not simple. Very doable, yes indeed.. but not simple.

There are to many considerations to even begin to list off. OBD2? Emissions Legal? Wiring Harness? $$$$ Time? JDM vs USDM? woh.. I could really go on and on here.

One thing I can help you with though.. the only way you can describe a swap as "easy" is if you have it done for you my someone who knows how to do it .. like ECS.

But, if you are sure this is the way you want to go, and you want to do the work youself, you might consider having some do the "Wiring Harness Merge" for you, then you and your Mech friend can do the actual hardware swap. That might be considered the "easiest" way. I guess.

P.S. Moved to the correct forum.

·
Registered
Silver 2000 2.5 RS
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have to worry about emissions tests or anything since i live in SD. I was looking at those JDM motors just because I think the wiring harness merge would be easier from what Ive read on some threads which would keep my labor costs down. I'm trying to sell one of my motorcycles, plus what I have, plus possibly borrowing a little money from me madre, lol, I might be able to come up with about 6000. Or if someone is interested in my car with a shot motor I would sell that and buy a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts