Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Impreza RS
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my AC belt and AC belt tensioner pulley fell apart on me a while back. Since then, I have been driving the car around without an AC belt. During that time, since it is winter, I have been running the heat pretty routinely and the car has made no noises during that time.

Yesterday I installed a new alternator belt, AC belt, and AC tensioner pulley. I ran the car for 20 minutes afterwards, ran the AC on high, and drove the car around. All good.

Today, I noticed that with the air on (in both heat and AC) the engine squeals loudly at idle and at low speeds. Once I increase speeds past 15-20 mph, the noise goes away. With the air off, the car makes no noises whatsoever.

I have read some posts about AC specific problems, but not many about a system that relates to hot and cold air in the vehicle.

Are my belts too loose? Too tight? Do the belts just need to be worn in?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Belts likely too loose.. there should only be about 1/8-1/4" of deflection on the belt pushing on the longest portion between pulleys

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it's in a defrost position with the heater on, it will run the a/c to dehumidify the air. That may be why you have noise either way. Check the belt.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Any new belt will stretch some after it's first installed. You likely just didn't tighten the AC belt quite far enough, so when it stretched it loosened enough to squeal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts