Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I turned my car on this morning and it started smoking :( Looks to be coming from the passenger side head on the underside. It's a nice white/gray smoke that smells like burnt oil/plastic. The car just had it's oil changed and got inspected last week. There is a hole in the exhaust, but that shouldn't matter.

Here's a pic of the area..it's just kinda coming from right under the head on the pass side. Could it maybe be oil or something on the exhaust manifold? It's not leaking anything in the garage though :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed the same white smoke is coming out of the tail pipe....looks the same and smells the same too

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
That does not sound good. Can you see underneath? Remove the plastic and look for a cracked head/block. Did you go through any big puddles or hose the engine down?

Could just be a busted gasket or loose bolt, too. I'd look for dripping, that is the best sign. If there is nothing external, get it to a shop pronto. Have them do a compression and leakdown test. That will tell you a lot.

What color is the oil and how does the anti-freeze look?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She seems ok today. No smoking from from underhood today. Still has that smell. I'm hoping it's just a gasket leaking and getting on the exhaust manifold. I'll take the car to the dealer this week hopefully monday. I have tomorrow off so I'll put her on ramps and rip the plastic off and take a look. Maybe i'll even fire the welder up and fix the pinhole in my exhaust or just put the wrx exhaust on my car so I can regain my hearing for a while.

Oh well...this is what my great powertrain warranty is for. Maybe I'll come home with a year old wrx :p

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Maybe I'll come home with a year old wrx
That would be nice! Sorry to hear about the smoking-hope it's nothing major.:)

·
Registered
1997 V2 GF4
335 Posts
if there is a hole in your exhaust the same white smoke that comes out the tail pipe will come out of the hole in the exhaust..

you said something about a plastic bag? is it stuck to your exhaust?

that will smoke foever and smeall really bad..

check for a leaking oil filter as it is on the passenger side.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As usual, by the time it came to go to the dealer it stopped :rolleyes: The seat rail isn't working again :rolleyes: Everytime someone adj the seat it breaks and the dealer has to take it apart and fix it..wish they'd just give me a new one :rolleyes: I so want to get rid of it now, I didn't have a problem with it for a whole year and in the last two months everything has been going wrong with it. But I'm used to my parents always owning them and seeing how crappy the reliability was, guess I'm the dumb one. But I haven't gotten my hands on anything that handles so good under $20k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts