Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will a jdm na sohc ej20 (ej201 or ej203 not sure) replace my ej251 in my 01 rs? They seem much cheaper and easier to find and I've heard they swap with none to limited modifications, but unsure of the correctness of that, also I live Washington so emissions doesn't matter if that's gonna be a problem. Also let me know if any one in Washington has swappable engines, because I am looking to purchase. Thank you!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will a jam na soho ej20 replace my ej251 in my 01 rs? They seem much cheaper and easier to find and I've heard they swap with none to limited modifications, but unsure of the correctness of that, also I live Washington so emissions doesn't matter if that's gonna be a problem. Also let me know if any one in Washington has swappable engines, because I am looking to purchase. Thank you!
Also I found a ej22 from a 99 Impreza for $500, I believe it is ej222 which I heard can fit with slight modification. Let me know what you guys know about this.

· Registered
1998 Impreza L wagon, EJ25D swap
100 Posts
If you take the intake manifold from your 251 and put it on the 2.2 it should work but you I would also consider getting a 2.2 ecu because running it on the 251 ecu will cause some tuning issues.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
JDM motors require component transfer. the coolant cross over isn't always the same and generally needs to be swapped. the cam and crank gear also generally need to be swapped, as well as the cam, crank, and knock sensors. You'll also have to reuse your intake manifold, wiring harness, injector assembly.

If you are doing the work yourself, a JDM motor can save you money. If you are paying a shop to do it, you'll break even... if not be a little under if you get your current motor rebuilt. the two liters leave a lot, and I mean A LOT to be desired when you've come from a 2.5, incredibly underwhelming.

My one experience with this was in a 2003 outback, and during the test drive i was like "holy fuck, this thing can't get out of its own way", I had to use an absurd amount of throttle to get to 60. It was an absolute dog compared to the fresh 2.5 in my legacy. But, the owner said it felt great, so maybe you would too.

If you're doing it yourself, get your current engine rebuilt, if you have to pay a shop to do it, a JDM motor will get your car back on the road cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts