Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Engine options in the pre RS cars

912 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Andrew 
#1 ·
I've been wanting an RS for quite awhile now, but the initial lump sum is just too much at the moment. So I've been thinking that with the time and effort I could take an older L or LX coupe and make it into a RS wanabee. Having said that I'm wondering what years was there a GC8 coupe available? And what would the engine be in those? will I only find the 1.8? I'm looking for pre 97 models here as they are getting more affordable. Thanks guys

- Jamie

#2 ·
i'm pretty sure you will only find 1.8L engines. as for coupes and sedans, i don't know. if you want a nice project, get a cheap L and buy a 2.5 block later. i've seen a few engines on i-club going for 1800ish. L's aren't bad cars and they shouldn't be too slow becuse they weigh quite a bit less than 2.5's (200-300 lbs i think). and then you can just get the body pieces and you'll have one sweet little car. hope you find something that suits your needs and desires.

#4 ·
Thanks guys I was thinking of the engine swap at a later date. And I should hopefully save on the insurance. Are the transmissions (4EAT or 5 speed) the same in the older models as the newer ones? No big worries there as the car would be a ways off and an engine swap is in the dream territory money wise at the moment. I'm just curious how much is different. Can anyone point me at a good site or FAQ that will have various info on models?

#8 · (Edited)
Ok mostly for archive purposes here is everything Anyone else ever thinking about a L project should need.

Everything Subaru Impreza Archives 93-96

I haven't found any indication that canadian versions are any different but you never know.

Basically the info goes like this

MY93 3 versions: base, L and LS
Engine : 1.8L HP: 110 @ 5600 rpm Torque: 110 @ 4400 rpm
Body : sedan or sportwagon only
AWD : optional on L or LS models
Brakes : disk/drum on base and L models disk/disk on LS
ABS not available

MY94 3 versions: base, L and LS
Engine : 1.8L HP: 110 @ 5600 rpm Torque: 110 @ 4400 rpm
Body : sedan or sportwagon only
AWD : optional on L standard on LS
Brakes : disk/drum on base disk/disk with ABS optional on L disk/disk with ABS standard on LS

MY95 5 versions: base, L, 2.2L AWD, LX 2.2 AWD, Outback Sport
Engine :1.8L HP: 110 @ 5600 rpm Torque: 110 @ 4400 rpm
or 2.2L HP:135 Torque 140@4400rpm
Body :coupe, sedan or sportwagon
AWD : optional on L standard on 2.2L, LX and Outback
Brakes : base disk/drum disk/disk with ABS optional on L disk/disk with ABS standard on LX and Outback
tranny : 1.8L gets manual/auto 2.2 auto only

MY96 4 versions:Brighton, L, LX Outback Wagon
Engine :1.8L HP: 110 @ 5600 rpm Torque: 110 @ 4400 rpm
or 2.2L HP:135 Torque 140@4400rpm
Body :coupe,sedan or wagon
AWD : Standard
Brakes : disk/drum on Brighton,L disk/disk with ABS on LX, Outback
tranny : auto not available on Brighton, optional on L except wagon, standard on LX sedan, optional on LX coupe, optional on Outback

Hope this helps anyways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.