Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on either turbocharging my 2001 RS or doing a swap. I'm still weighing the pros/cons of each but my main issue is the subject of engine management.

I've been working around cars for most of my life and was a professional auto tech for many years. In that time I have never messed around with tuning ecus though.

I've done a lot of research into adding a turbo. I understand how everything works and the mechanical side of things. I'm just trying to get more clarification on the tuning side.

From my understanding, the 2000-01 ecu is self-learning and I've heard that most piggy back systems lose functionality because of this. I've also heard that it's a benefit because it will relearn the engine once FI is introduced.

I've also read that a rrfpr and knock monitor (J&S) are all that's "needed" for a low boost (5-6 psi) application.

My car is a daily driver and I'm looking to add a little more grunt but the whole idea of tuning is a little overwhelming!

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza
18 Posts
Check out Project Lambda tuning! Michael is a great guy and does a good job. You’d have to double check your year car would work with PL, but mines an 02 and that’s what I use.

Just to give you an idea: my Impreza is powered by a forged 257 block and 251 heads with supertech springs, holset hy35, fmic, and sti pinks. So all in all a not so common setup - but Michael and PL made it all work like a charm.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,234 Posts
Siiiiick. when you google Project Lambda it comes up with a bunch of half-life results. The best and safest way to turbocharge a GC chassis is with a factory turbocharged donor car.

If this car is truly your daily driver and you do not own another form of transportation, I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, I'll check out project lambda next.

It is a daily, but I have another vehicle and I got this car as a rolling project. I plan on doing it up in bits so that down time is minimal.

This is all just part of the beginning stages. When all is said and done, and the money's right, I plan on using an sti short block for more powah!!!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,234 Posts
I've been down this road, and I started with an STi block. I wouldn't do that again in a million years. Do it right from the start, I promise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts