Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
01 Impreza RS Coupe BDP
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago I posted a thread about my engine making weird noises.
As it turned out it was my heat shields. So I had my heat shields removed and that noise went away.

But this winter my car started to make this rough noise. Almost like piston slapping. I took it to the dealership to check it out during my regular schedule maintance. It really is loud when the car starts (especially when it was cold all night). They had it all day to let the engine cool off. I told them there was a slapping/knocking noise from the right side of the engine. When I went to pick it up, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They used some sort of listening tool and could hear anything. They said because of the engine design it makes this a noise sometimes when cold.
The noise does go mostly away when the car warms up, but i can still hear it a bit.

Here's a video of me starting up my car after a cold morning. Yes that is snow in May it was gone by lunchtime. We get some weird storms in Calgary.
youtube video

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
GC84ever said:
Here's a video of me starting up my car after a cold morning. Yes that is snow in May it was gone by lunchtime. We get some weird storms in Calgary.
youtube video
Sounds like the common start up noise in the boxer engine. Piston slap, the skirts are pretty long and about 70% of the Subys I start in the morning on the lot do this (including my own) until they warm up. Some are slight (mine) some are loud (yours). But, they all seem to do it... :noes:

·
Registered
98 RS Now with more interior!
20,049 Posts
Yeah its basically rod knock, but oil gets through all the passages and quiets it down.

·
Premium Member
01 Impreza RS Coupe BDP
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the second opinions. I was thinking there could be a timing issue or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts