Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I found out last night my pulley was shaking pretty violently and so this morning I decided to take it off and found this. To be honest I thought the bolt came but I was wrong. I would definitely appreciate any help and advice! Thanks!

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts

the key on the crank is fukced. looks like the crank bolt came loose or wasn't tightened tight enough and so the key was bashing itself into the pulley. you're going to have to tear the front of your engine down far enough to remove the crank sprocket and attempt to remove the leftover bits of key from the crank. replace with new OE piece from subaru. should be less than 5 bucks iirc from doing mine. this requires the engine to be retimed, and would not be a bad idea to replace the timing belt and other pulleys while you're in there already. this is best case scenario.

worst case, you're going to have to replace the crank.

the pulley is still fine..just make sure to put the side that's been beaten out onto the new key and torque that fukcer down. but...it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the pulley. you can get the grimmspeed ones on the low low.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
there is an in between case too George, but will reserve mentioning it till he is able to hopefully get the rest of that keyway removed

that pulley doesn't look fine to me

what type of pulley was this?

·
Enthusiast
2001 SRP L
2,513 Posts
If you have the stock harmonic balancer, the rubber can be separating.

If you need a replacement lmi, i have like 5 I'm willing to let go for cheap.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
there is an in between case too George, but will reserve mentioning it till he is able to hopefully get the rest of that keyway removed

that pulley doesn't look fine to me

what type of pulley was this?
It's a COBB lightweight, that yellow is so obvious... :blol:

The pulley's keyway is pretty clearly F'ed. Whether or not it requires replacing... Well, I sure as hell would. The real issue is that when the pulley falls off, the crank sprocket walks forward and will eat the timing belt. If the little manual guide is installed, that will prevent the crank sprocket from walking into the timing belt, but the sprocket will be damaged. Unless you drove on the loose pulley though, your crank's keyway SHOULD be alright. The woodruff key is softer than the crank.

Man I wish I hadn't had 1st hand experience with this...

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
I was going to say, there is no way I'd be using that pulley for anything more than a paperweight at this point

Timing belt wise, yep, needs very careful inspection to make sure the sprocket didn't start chewing the inboard side of the belt

For the crank/key it all depends what he finds once he cleans the keyway out. I too used to think that the key being soft, it can't harm anything - till I had experience that proved otherwise (not a Subaru). When we g0t it all apart the slot in the crank was widened on the back end, and that made just fitting a new key impossible. Ended up needing a few new parts, plus it introduced me to the wonderful world of ATI's pullies. I'd never do a serious build of any kind without one anymore.

would you believe this was with using a full aluminum pulley? Somewhere I have a pic of the pulley...but picture one without any keyway slot left at all lolol. It looked like someone put a drillpress to it and just bored it clean. Zero key slot left....and somehow I made it from TN to NJ before she died completely and had to get towed back to NY. Moral of the story? On a car with a single key way, never ever use a pulley without a steel sleeve again. But, the above is what also led me to a really good solution that saved me from tearing the entire engine apart....a really neat epoxy designed specifically for industrial machinery keyway repair. Going on 5 years now since it was fixed

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
If you have the stock harmonic balancer, the rubber can be separating.

If you need a replacement lmi, i have like 5 I'm willing to let go for cheap.
yep, seen it a million times...pays to pay attention to it when you do the first timing belt service and periodically inspecting thereafter

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I was going to say, there is no way I'd be using that pulley for anything more than a paperweight at this point

Timing belt wise, yep, needs very careful inspection to make sure the sprocket didn't start chewing the inboard side of the belt

For the crank/key it all depends what he finds once he cleans the keyway out. I too used to think that the key being soft, it can't harm anything - till I had experience that proved otherwise (not a Subaru). When we g0t it all apart the slot in the crank was widened on the back end, and that made just fitting a new key impossible. Ended up needing a few new parts, plus it introduced me to the wonderful world of ATI's pullies. I'd never do a serious build of any kind without one anymore.
Hmm... That particular crank cam has less of the key covered. On the EJ's, about 3/4 of the woodruff is covered by the crank cam when installed, and when the pulley comes off it only covers more as the cam walks forward, so I'm thinking it tends to prevent keyway damage. The front of the key gets completely buggered, though. It's also something I really dislike about the key, since so little of it fits into the crank pulley it takes very little loosening to spin the key inside the pulley. That's what happened to me after I failed to torque the crank bolt to spec, the pulley loosened up just a teeny bit (assisted by the side loading of the supercharger belt) and even though it was an OEM steel pulley, it was shredded on the back.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I'm off work today so I'm taking the timing belt cover off and seeing what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
All right I took the cover off and checked for play but I didn't take the belt off yet. The belt looks fine, I didn't see any rips or tears. Woodruff Key 1 Photo by Aaron2000Subaru | Photobucket
WOW, that looks like nothing freaking happened! The crank cam didn't even move! You got lucky, the crank cam must have been on it so long it didn't feel like walking forward. And the woodruff key barely looks touched. Guess that's an advantage of using the softer aluminum pulley. I would get a new pulley, don't reuse that one, and put it back together.

Do check really hard to make sure no metal shavings from the old pulley got stuck in the timing belt though.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
and aaron..in the photobucket page of the pic itself..if you click the link at the top of it's page that looks like a chain link, it will open up a buncha links to click on and copy the url, use the one that says direct, and then put the
tags around it. the image will show up in the thread instead of the link.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts