Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! New member here...

Is there a way I can check for engine codes without the aid of a scanner? I know for recent Nissan/Infiniti vehicles, a series of WOT pedal positions can yield the OBDII engine codes the ECU currently has in the system via CEL flashings. Is there something similar for the subies? Or perhaps jump a connector and the CEL lights will flash?

The reason is, I will purchase an Impreza wagon with an '01 ej25 swapped in, but there is a CEL and the owner 'claims' it's due to an idle control valve sensor. I just want to be sure there are nothing else wrong.

TIA!

edit:
oh crap... I posted in the wrong forum! Can a mod please move this thread to the appropriate place? Thank you.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Nope you need a scanner of some kind. Any local parts store will generally do it for free.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
My 00RS is supposed to support that "cell flashing" bit to decipher OBD2 codes. I tried it a long time ago, but couldn't make sense of the instructions.

But, like Brydon said, drop in on AutoZone or PepBoys or what ever, they'll scan it for ya.

Oh yeah, and I moved your thread into the ECU section too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for moving the thread.

Do you know where I can find a set of those instructions? I'd hate to ask the seller to meet up at a local Vatozone just to scan the CEL. If I can just check it out 'on the spot' that would be perfect.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts