Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a 01 2.5rs that needs a motor and i am able to get a motor n trans with about 80k on them, from a 00/01 .

Seeing im going to have the motor out should I do any preventative maintenance while its out? I have decent wrenching experience so im just trying to see what i might be able to do myself while its out.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
while it's out, might as well replace things before they need to later.

Timing belt, idlers, tensioner, water pump, cam seals, crank seals, oil plate separator, headgaskets, etc. Not sure if you know how to rip apart the motor and replace the bearings and such.

You can get a new clutch, maybe reseal the tranny, not a whole lot to do with it.

Does the car come with the motor and trans also or just nothing in it.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
Krotch pretty much nailed it. The fact that headgasket issues were so common with the 2.5L NA's, I would, at a minimum, replace the headgasket and timing belt and components.

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
As mentioned, I'd definitely do timing belt, headgaskets and all the seals (cam, crank, rear main, valve cover gaskets), clutch if it looks worn ... I don't think I'd rip apart an 80k motor to do bearings ... unless it was abused to hell and never had an oil change, 80k isn't really a mileage where one should worry about that IMO.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
80k, I wouldn't worry, but it's whether it actually has 80k or not. My car is suppose to only be 50k, but everything screams 150k, except the odometer. Also if the engine and tranny has already been pulled, there no way to prove/disprove what it's actual mileage may be.

If you trust the person saying it's got 80k, then ya. I wouldn't rip apart the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts