Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L Wagon swapped
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking into buying a standalone computer so I can finally get my v1 ej20g protuned. Have narrowed down the options to VIPEC and Enduring Solutions and have done research on both. To me, the big difference appears to be in price (VIPEC approx. 1700 whereas ESL is a lot cheaper), but I'm not neccessarily trying to skimp on this feature of the car, so if people really think VIPEC is that much better I'll do that. What would you guys choose, between these two options? I know Enduring Solutions is slightly less plug and play than the VIPEC and would have less convenient support since they are UK based. WHat do you guys think?

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,659 Posts
Ask your tuner since he will be the one primarily using it. A system is only as good as the person using it!

I was going to go with a Vipec before but my tuner was seeing some issues on a few different cars so I went a different way and I have a Haltech Platinum 1000 now. He is comfy with it so it made the most sense for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for insight! is the haltech platinum 1000 a plug and play unit like the Vipec? how much did it cost and does it have comparable features. I asked my tuner about it and he said he is down to learn any software, he says they're all fairly similar with minor differences but the learning curve isn't terrible.

Ask your tuner since he will be the one primarily using it. A system is only as good as the person using it!

I was going to go with a Vipec before but my tuner was seeing some issues on a few different cars so I went a different way and I have a Haltech Platinum 1000 now. He is comfy with it so it made the most sense for me.

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,659 Posts
Haltech makes a plug and play patch for the V3, I am sure I saw one around for every year though. I know with the harness' they have gone up in price but I think they are anywhere from 1700ish to 2k? I haven't looked in a few years though and I remember the patch being about $300 of that cost.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
the support of the platform comes via your tuner, rarely is the manufacturer involved unless a unit fails outright. We sell alot of these (including ViPec) and I can't recall having a dead box in 10 years now from anyone

For Haltech:

Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc. - Haltech Plug&Play Platinum Sport 1000 Legacy/WRX

Through the end of January they are have great promotion where you can add their new CAN based wideband for $99 when you buy a Platinum series ecu.

Here's a link to the wideband: Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc. - Haltech CAN Network Wideband 02

so you can see at $99 with the ecu purchase, it's a good chunk of savings

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
enduring solutions is looking nice too, i've heard a lot of good things about their system

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
to me, any ecu choice comes down to a few things....I've owned many different ones over the years fwiw. No specific order to my list

1. resolution
2. datalogging capability
3. ability to tune off an integrated wideband
4. GUI
5. expandability
6. stability of platform (as far as software glitches)

I have 2 cars with standalones. One is old old old school (but it works), the other far more modern. The modern car has had a Haltech in there since 2010, which was tuned for me by someone on this forum too (Innovative Tuning..Mike is terrific). I have not had to even connect the USB to my laptop since then. It just runs. And you're talking about a car with alot done to it, and, that doesn't have any means of air idle control. Mike tuned it well enough that it just holds an idle, hot or cold weather, with or without the a/c on. In that time, I've had to replace the wideband sensor 1 time. Other than that, it's needed nothing

The ViPec systems are excellent. Not the cheapest (none of the standalones are), but a really clean interface

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah I've heard really good things about the VIPEC too. Feature-wise, it seems like Enduring Solutions is right up there with Vipec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts