Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This won't be a quick read, so grab some coffee, a snack, or what ever.

Preface : I owned a '03 Legacy Wagon, 2.5 engine, same as my Impreza.
I felt that it was a great car, the engine was plenty for the wagon chassis despite it's weight, I felt it was pretty peppy honestly. I've owned a few myself, and have driven lots of 4 bangers from all major makers, and any that are older than about 3 to 4 years just feel weak to me. Especially the domesti-crap offerings.

The story : So, for the past two days (Tues / Wed) I was on site in the Greater Detroit Area, meaning, a nice drive along I-75. Anyone that has driven up in Michigan knows that, its not a place for the slow. I often joke that "everyone is a race car driver on the east side" (of the state),
Because, if you don't go between 80 and 90 you get run off the road.

Most know I've recently fixed a hesitation problem caused by weak gaskets flooding oil over my plugs, these last two days have been my first opportunity since then to really 'put the car through it's paces' and man oh man..

First, the 2.5... I dunno what it is about this engine, it's the only 4 I've ever owned that gets stronger as it gets older. Plenty of torque, plently of pep, it's shits-n-gits as they say, and when it's done 'gitting, it can always handle to top it all off. I'm pleased as punch with my SOHC 2.5 right now.. I imagine a turbo, it makes my eyes water..only because my engine right now is so strong and matches the car so well. I almost cant fathom this car with even more power because the cynergy it has now is impecable. It makes me happy in the pants. -lol.

Then of course, the handling.. I have a few routes I like to take on my way home with some very nice 90 degree turns.. most of these turns are rated at 35pmh or less.. but the Ruu, it scoffs.. yesterday I got a good clear run at one.

(( Now for referrence I One: can see clearly around the corner, and Two: ALWAYS stay in my lane.)

So, I come into this corner at 55mph (the posted limit on the road itself) break down to about just a hair over 50, and start the turn. Now, I'm on the outside of this corner, and while the apex is nice and deep, even on the outside, it does flair up and flatten out quickly after the apex requireing an extra tug on the wheel to gain more turn-in to over come the natural of momentum towards the outside of the corner. So here I was, wheel cranked, a sizzling 50MPH, and comes the moment of truth, After barely clearing the apex I hit the gas, the car begins to roll out of the apex, I give the wheel it's final tug, and without a wince, not even a hint of tire squeel I float right around that corner, maintaining 50mph the whole time. Just incredible.

Then theres the respect this car gets on the road. Yeah, I've had a few 'revvers' but actually on the road way, this car gets mad props from most 'like minded' drivers. I've also realised that debadging the trunk has made people think twice about challenging me. I've had guys in clearly stronger cars completely back off me, allow me my time, then carry on. Now, it should be noted that I do not look to street race EVER. I simply won't.
I drive fast, yes, but I don't race people..I just drive fast. If you want to 'tag along' with me thats cool, but it's never a race, if they want to speed up I get out of the way. Yesterday though, I got some mad props from a few people.. One was a loaded Hemi Charger.. this guy flew up on my ass like his was on fire, but he never once tried to pass me or push me.. I eventually was able to get over, and as he passed he nodded at me.

Then there was the guy on the super bike. He too came up on me like this ass was on fire, but again, behind me he becomes patient, allows me to move then follows me through the hole. Again, a nod ensues.

Then there are the domesti-crappers and -other- JDM cars that are blasing their trails untill I come along, then they peel off, and relinquish their lanes as I move by them. Guys who I watch in my rear view bully other drivers, suddeny seem complacent to be riding my can.. not that they ride it, they never seem to, for fear that I might be a WRX in hiding. It's great.. :)

Yes, lets just say that yesterday was a good day.. I really fell in love with my car seemingly all over again, and it really reaffirms to me that I've made the right choice. I always said, I'd never buy any car other than a Subaru, and after yesterday, I know that I never will own any other car of my own choosing. They are a complete package, and while not everyone knows them, or likes them, guys like us do, and the respect they command is incredible IMHO. Even as an RS, bone stock it gets props. I love it.

I just had to share this moment with y'all because it's something we have all experienced, it's something we all knew in our hearts, and it's great when we see it returned by random people out on the streets. It's great to get the props from people who have cars that could hand me my ass in a second, it's great to see the drooling looks of discontent on the faces of the average domesti-crap driver, and the envious stares of other JDM car owners as I roll by. I cant get this shit eating grin off my face... I'm loving it.

So, stare longingly at your Ruu's today folks..let them know you love them, give'em an oil change, a wash, wax, and detail over this long weekend, show them you care! :) And it'll be returned!

Peace!

·
Registered
2004 Silver Subaru Impreza RS
231 Posts
Yeah I get some of the same props you get. Tooling around town and at gas stations I have to explain what exactly is this car that I have (silver 04 RS). Funny thing, I really haven't done too many mods to my car either! Besides some nice black grillcraft grilles up front, and a ganzflow intake that what my car has for performance at the moment... sound system is another story, and nice tints as well for the hawt Florida sun!

One day I was pulling out of my apt complex on to a main road and a guy with a heavily modded oldschool DSM Eclipse/Talon (don't remeber which) wanted to race me sooo bad. He rolled down his windows and was waving his hands. I pointed to the hood on my car and he got the point- no hoodscoop! The dude still gave me props for the clean whip. So yeah I def. feel where you are coming from... its what makes a Subaru, a Subaru!!!!1!!one!!!

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still a wanker, but we keep you around don't we?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bah I know this is a GC/GF elitist watering hole... I was just concurring with the OP. And by the way he drives an '03 Legacy. Or else I would have said thats why GC/GF chassis are teh winnor.

And by the way... I like my GD. So go insert your penis in your GC/GF's gas nozzle, or whatever it is that you do for pleasure, besides being an asshat.

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
I'm not biased to any particular chasis. I actually like the GDB more than the GC. I just happen to own a GC because I got it for free. I'd rather have a pig nose WRX though.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
the gd chassis is stiffer..thats all it has going for it.but lets not turn this into a gc vs gd pissing contest

i know exactly how the OP feels when he hits the turns..people think i drive fast..i dont..i just keep the speed limit and maintain it around turns!

·
Registered
231 Posts
mxpunk said:
the gd chassis is stiffer..thats all it has going for it.but lets not turn this into a gc vs gd pissing contest

i know exactly how the OP feels when he hits the turns..people think i drive fast..i dont..i just keep the speed limit and maintain it around turns!

Soo soo true! To use, yet another Subaru slogan- thats the beauty of AWD.

And by the way, I do like the look of the GC's. I just own a GD and I'm proud of it.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Ya, at first all the attention you get is pretty cool. Having owned the 01 RS for about 3.5 years now, all I get is props about the car wherever I go.

Example: There's this local McDs I go through after work sometimes, just rolling by the big windows with people eating next to them, they turn and stare as I drive by, and the kids in the drive through window drool over my car every time. "Yo come over here and check this thing out before he drives off!!" :rolleyes: Probably not the best people to be getting attention from, but it doesn't end there.

I think the funniest comment I heard from there was "Wow, you got that thing looking just like Bunta's car from Initial D!" :lol: Surprising, considering I'm riding dropped on gunmetal SA90s and a mostly v6 exterior... but stock coupe wing.

I also agree on how much respect you get from others on the road. I've had badass Evos and STis and S4s pull up next to me at stoplights and just give me a thumbs up, no reving or racing or anything (probably cuz they see my center gauge pod and think the vac gauge is boost :lol: ). They'd hand me my ass as is right now, but they definitely don't look down on an RS if it's clean and mean looking, since most of 'em are also hiding some pretty big power under the hood by now. Mine will too, by the end of this summer hopefully.

I notice RSs are kinda in a different class of respect than say your typical Civic too. When a car is rare enough or looks good enough to a certain point, haters will still stare, but will tend to leave it alone. Around here, owning a Honda basically means your car's gonna get jacked or hated on some time or other - it's inevitable. They'll jack your tails/lights, your spoiler, your bumpers/lips, anything really, even if it's stock ffs. But no one really touches my RS, it's rare enough that any parts they try to jack from it, they won't be able to use on their ricer rides, or make a quick buck selling to other ricers. Hell, even my rims are unusable since it's 5 lug and crazy high typical subaru offset (thank god). And that's a big plus in my book :jerkit:

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Tonight was the best driving night I've ever had in my GC. All night at school this kid was dogging my car in front of all the other people in my collision repair class. So this one dude was getting all pissed, and I wasn't saying , but he was like "Yo dawg first chance you get when that punk brings his car in is burn him, and don't even stop. Creep right up on his bumper and draft right by him. And then when you see him in class the next day don't even say anything, cause that's what he gets for talking smack about your car and then prasing this kid's brand new car (in reference to another student's fairly new Civic Si).
Now the smack talker doesn't even drive his car to school. All it is is a super low canary yellow 1.8T VW GTI. The kid drive's his mom's car a Golf, or her Hyundai Santa Fe.
So tonight I pull out first and head for the highway. I get passed just before the exit by the Santa Fe and the Si. On the on ramp I see the Si starting to back off and pull a little to the outside of the on ramp, which was a hard sweeping right hander, with the Santa Fe just in front of him, so as we're coming into the apex of this corner I drop shift into 3rd and start hugging the inside of the turn and I get right on the bumper of the Civic. When we finally hit the highway I see the Civic break from behind the Santa Fe and start to pull a bit. I give chase riding out third gear and finally shifting to 4th. By this time I'm still on the Civic's ass, then I break to the far outside passing lane of the highway and leave them both behind and take it to about 90. I look for the Si and he starts to pour it on. I gave my SAFCa quick glance to see what my RPM was at. I rode 4th out until 5 grand and went to 5th WOT. At this point I was glad that I passed the kid that as talking smack, but I was also glad that I was going 110mph and my newly installed wing didn't as much as budge. I give it 120 and kept hauling and about 4 exits later the Si caught up. He was about to pass me when we started to run into traffic. I found an opening and went for it and started building my speed up. I Led the way again, and in the rear view I see headlights behind the Si start flashing. I gave it WOT and just hoped my bad lower control arm would hold up long enough to make it to the gas station I was heading for. The Si came up along side me and started to pull then drifted back and I continued to lead for 2 more exits. When I saw the exit I was looking for coming up, I raised my hand up out the window to signal I was done. the Si came passed me and waved and decided to take my exit also and the car that flashed him was behind me. We all pulled in, and this car pulls up beside me. Silver Honda Prelude. The driver, fairly middle aged dude, rolls the window down, I'm thinking he's gonna yell at me or something, or his dog was gonna bite me, (little pit bull) He says "Hey brother what do you have in that thing?" I smile and say "1.8" he looks at me shocked and says "what!?"
"Yeah man, naturlaly aspirated 1.8"
"Damn man, nice job great race I couldn't even keep up with you guys. Take it easy and drive safe"

My little 1.8 n/a turned out to be the champ. Ben in his Si admitted later, that he wanted me to pass him and that if I didn't he would have hit the car that was coming up in his lane. It pretty much turned a really shitty night into a pretty fun moment.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Great Thread!

I get so much respect in my GD... Ducati 996's bow as they pass!

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a point, this wasn't about having a 'GD', nor is it about GD > GC or vice versa.
Matt just has a complex.. nope, this was only about getting props for your cars, GM, GC, GF, GD... no matter, they all can apply!

Thanks for the stories folks!

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It wasn't obvious or anything Matt :)

lol

·
Registered
2002 aspen white WRX
512 Posts
i love it when i get the thumbs up from the bikes. ive always wanted a bike, like an old school ninja, i just think its cool the way that all bikers give that low wave to eachother, thats another reason i love my suby, is waving at other subies.
quick story:
yesterday i was going home from work, just cruisin' in 5th, about 2400 rpms, with my header back exhaust humming that beautiful tune we all know and love, and all of a sudden i hear this noise...."wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmm" i have my window down and i can hear it clear as a bell. funny thing is, it doesnt sound like any car ive ever heard. i look in my side mirror but i dont see anything, so i turn my head to look at my blind spot and you will never guess what i saw!! riding just off the left rear corner of my car is a plain high point PD cruiser, with a uniformed officer in the drivers seat, with the mic in his hand mimicking my exhaust sound through his PA with a huge grin on his face!!! he then proceeded to roll past me, giving me a little nod on his way! i was in total disbelief but it didnt stop me from almost laughing up a lung!! effin' hilarious!! i love my car!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts