Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did the bumper swap with my MY98 coupe to the newer version bumper. It looks great, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I installed a set of Hella 500 fog lights and my wiring system cannot handle the load. I keep blowing the 15AMP fuse located in the fuse box under the hood. It was either that, or I kept blowing the 15AMP fuse that was a part of the fog light wiring circuit.

Has anyone else who has done the bumper swap had these types of problems? What did you do in order to fix them? I'm debating throwing a 20AMP fuse into the headlight system, but I'm not sure what the headlight relay is rated at, so that is the only thing that stops me. If anyone could be of any help, I'd greatly appreciate it, as my car has sat for the last 3 days in the driveway as I've tried to figure this all out. Thanks.

AJ

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I would only put a larger fuse in after you make absolutely certain that no wires are pinched or shorted in any way. If not, then a 20A and a close eye could be tried. You may need to use heavier gauge wire with the big Hella's.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally threw a 20a fuse into my fusebox when I upgraded to 100w bulbs in my factory lights.

2 years later, no problems.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Yeah, ya gotta figure that the designers accounted for this when they spec'd the wire gauges throughout the development of the car.

Although on my GF's 'yota, the horn circuit couldn't handle the addition of an air horn setup! Had to use the relay supplied!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts