Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
01, Impreza
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Call it what you want, its routed in an equal length style with one primary 4 inches longer than the other. Its enough difference to give it a typical Subaru sound, but its not way out of whack like the Borla design. Primaries are 35 and 39 inches if I remember correctly. We were thinking of making a very unequal length setup as well but after the impression this header made its not likely to happen, too many disadvantages. This thing is the way to go :devil:

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
Call it what you want, its routed in an equal length style with one primary 4 inches longer than the other. Its enough difference to give it a typical Subaru sound, but its not way out of whack like the Borla design. Primaries are 35 and 39 inches if I remember correctly. We were thinking of making a very unequal length setup as well but after the impression this header made its not likely to happen, too many disadvantages. This thing is the way to go :devil:
I'm definitely interested :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Is there a way you could link in a sound clip sometime if it isn't too much trouble?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
01, Impreza
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe a set of these can help improve the 12.89s 1/4 mile of my single port EJ222...

Do you think these can support an uppipe/turbo like the oem y pipe can?
It should support whatever the stock headers can, though we wouldn't be providing any kind of warranty in that case. Be best to brace the turbo on something.

Is there a way you could link in a sound clip sometime if it isn't too much trouble?

Just threw something together for you, keep in mind this is a completely stock exhaust, rattling heat shields and all. Wear headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1lYmWCBwKA

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Wow that was fast response and sounds killer for just a stock exhaust. Sign me up for sure. I'd love to hear that teamed with my Stromung.

·
Registered
01, Impreza
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey everyone, we have a facebook page. Like us if you are interested!

www.facebook.com/millerclean

Some possible future products for this summer: Perfectly equal length headers with test pipe, fender braces, VW TDI exhausts (down pipes, side exit, straight pipes) Audi 2.8 12v turbo manifolds headers and exhausts, custom ECU mapping, 1 7/8 inch WRX crossover pipes, special requests and more. We are also hoping to get a hold of some 321 stainless for proper stainless parts for those willing to pay.

·
Registered
1997 Acadia Green Impreza L
69 Posts
Just an idea, but for guys with singleports, it would be a nice option to have a set built like turbo headers. Sure it would always be a one-off but that option, in conjunction with a wrx uppipe-downpipe, would make going turbo quite a bit easier instead of having to search for dualports.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
01, Impreza
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Or maybe even turbo manifolds with a T3 or T4 flange and down pipes that place things in a better location to leave options for larger snails. Might as well go big or go home right? Holset and Mitsubishi turbos are both cheap options that can make big power

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
a stock turbo application would probably be more popular than old journal bearing flange styles.

for me personally...i would LOVE a td04 single port turbo header. :)

·
Registered
01, Impreza
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A TD04 would make for a nice low end for sure, but it is both tiny and a journal bearing... Almost every turbo out there these days has a T3 flange. Could easily throw whatever flange you want on there though.

I'd be inclined to look into all options before sourcing a turbo and think about your goals though, especially when any flange can be stuck on the manifold ;) If I were doing a subie turbo build I'd probably grab a holset Hy35 with the 9 cm^2 exhaust housing. Full boost by 3k, cheap, good for 500 hp and loves high pressure ratios. Most of garretts line can be had with a T3 flange too, a gt28 would be great.

Generally its torque that kills gearboxes, rods, clutches, etc. Also, small exhaust turbines like the TD04 mean high exhaust residual percentages which makes detonation much more likely and hard to deal with. So the bigger the turbine and higher up you can make torque the better, within reason. Easier on parts. I do understand the want for low end grunt around town though, I daily a diesel :lol:

That's my 0.02, but like you said, what gets built will come down to what people want. I could be out of touch anyway, after all I come from the vw world where big turbos and 400 whp on stock engines is common

·
Registered
01, Impreza
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey everyone, we had some free time this weekend so we took some scrap tubing and a cherrybomb glasspack and threw together a quick axle-back. Sure sounds good with the headers! Had the headers off the car as well and did an inspection, even after a few hard bottom-outs and a horrible winter with loads of salt they are in good shape. Came right off and went back on real easy with everything aligning perfectly.

Here are a few sound clips of our headers and the axle-back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZaQso2n5E

We will be doing a run of 5-10 headers (maybe more). Details will be posted soon!

·
Registered
1997 L wagon
50 Posts
I'm in the market for some new headers too, if you guys make more let me know! They look awesome!

·
Registered
'99 Impreza L, 2.2 donor
2 Posts
Header Update?

Hi,
Just wondering if you have made some progress on your venture? I am thinking that there may be much interest.

I am doing a '99 2.2 coupe that will remain N/A. Going to flog this engine before going diesel.

I would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet, if developed already. I am not sure how much I can open my Head ports, but desire to maximize my head efficiency, then match the header primaries to a widened head port...maybe 42mm/1.65". You list collector outlet at 45/1.77. I have not done enough calculations yet, but thinking that is a minimum for a mild tune. Maybe 48mm/1.88"?

Sounds like a fun project with some potential!

Jay

·
Registered
1998 Impreza OBS
484 Posts
also wondering if these are being made? it sucks to see all singleport UEL options get tossed out so quickly..

21 - 40 of 47 Posts