Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help here. I'm planning on replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 98RS. It's an EJ25D, but my understanding is that it is not the original engine that came with the car. My problem is when looking up the part numbers for the valve cover gaskets there's multiple versions listed based on a number range. For example gasket version 1 is for 047283 through 285351 and gasket version 2 is for 285352 and on I guess.

Is there a way to tell what version I have by looking at them? I've looked all over these heads for some casting marks that would make these numbers make sense but the only thing I can find is a SN sticker on one of the case halves. My problem there is I have no way of knowing if these heads are original to the short block.

I've attached pictures of the valve covers incase that helps.

Gas Engineering Auto part Nickel Machine

Gas Font Metal Auto part Machine

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,022 Posts
I remember running into this issue with my old ej20k setup (which are essentially the same heads as ej25d).

There was a post on Nasioc showing which p/n fit what heads, and included a page from the FSM with diagrams.

I tried searching for that Nasioc thread but I'm coming up empty.

Essentially the valve covers have different amount of the nubs that I highlighted in your pic. And I was able to get the right gasket for my JDM heads, from a USDM model.

Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Audio equipment Machine

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, that's more info than I have been able to dig up. Thanks for the help, at least that gives me an idea of what differences I'm looking for. Judging by the empty spaces, it seems these covers may not have had the correct gaskets anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts