Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've got a 22e block that I'm going to eventually turbo. I have the choice of 99 subaru forester OEM SOHC heads, and 07 impreza SOHC heads.

The 07 heads have the AVCS and fewer miles, while the 99 heads came with my forester.

Which of these would you use for your build? I'm leaning towards the 07 heads, and working out a way to activate the AVCS down the road.

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
622 Posts
Non turbo SOHC heads do not have AVCS, those oil pressure solenoids are for valve actuation control not cam timing. Under a certain load/rpm 12/16 valves are working to save MPGs, you can still use them but all the oil ports need to be plugged up and you will have to use the 251 cams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non turbo SOHC heads do not have AVCS, those oil pressure solenoids are for valve actuation control not cam timing. Under a certain load/rpm 12/16 valves are working to save MPGs, you can still use them but all the oil ports need to be plugged up and you will have to use the 251 cams.
You are correct, sorry I meant "i-active" valve system. Bleh. Anyways, sounds like it may be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth if the 99 forester OEM heads are fine.

Thanks so much, i would never have found that info on my own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts