Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Your suggestions

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs; Ridge Blue
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought my first Subaru in December - 2000 4-door 2.5rs (obviously) - 5-sp manual. She's my 6th car since I turned 16, and I have finally found something I REALLY like (and hasn't broken down on me yet). As all things go (and partially because I'm a product designer by trade), I can't seem to keep it stock, so my mind has been wandering as to what to do and to what extent. I can't tell if I have the EJ251 or the EJ25e but I guess it doesn't matter (but would be nice to know). A friend of mine is offering me his engine from a 91 Legacy GT for $500. I believe it to be an EJ22T. To my disadvantage, I know rebuilding is a lot of work (and it certainly needs this with 240K mi) and there will be troubles and blah, blah, blah, but again, I like one-off, custom things and don't mind waiting / getting my hands dirty. I am a gear head, but that does not make me a mechanic. If I do go this route, and while I am rebuilding the engine anyway, I also can't help thinking twin-turbo. I'm not even sure what I'm asking here - is this an incredibly bad idea? maybe? To my advantage, I work in a custom metal fabrication warehouse. We do high-end custom work for designers, architects, and artists - so I have some resources. I'm just looking to have some fun with it and have something to show at the end. Thanks!

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
If you are looking to have fun with it as you say then by all means get the engine and rebuild it. The EJ22TT was actually available in Japan for Legacies but there are major issues getting both turbos to clear steering assemblies and other parts with our left hand drive cars. Honestly, more power can be made reliably from a single turbo EJ than a twin. You wouldn't be the first to have an EJ22T powered RS but it would definately be unique considering there aren't many who go that route these days. I would say go for it, but take your time and rebuild the motor to be very strong and reliable. If you have the resources, what is stopping you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts