Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So I have been searching on both NASIOC and here for info on the ej22t. I have found a lot of useful info but I need more. ok I have two project cars and both are going to be based around the ej22t, I happen to have two of them so it is convenient to use.

Background: this is the more important or the two projects right now. I have a 93L I am building into a rally car. This is a very budget build up and is why the 22t was an attractive block for me to use. I am running it with PII SOHC heads and various parts off turbo Legacys, WRX's, and STI's to get the turbo stuff working. The other car will be a 2000 RS running WRX heads/ECU, 6 speed and the smallest turbo I can make 350 HP with.

Any how on with the info. request.

I have read that the N/A ej22 pistons will both fit the 22t which I have no doubt, but that they will also put the motor in the 9-1 compression range. This would be ideal for the rally car torque is much more important to me than HP for dirt. So If the N/A pistons will raise my compression to the 9-1 vrs. 7-1 and with the stock piston squrters I would hope to be able to run 10-15 pounds on a TDO4. I should be able to get away with running them for a while at least. So does this work? Or is this just a rumor?

Second project, this one is a was out so info here is not as important. I have a 2000, RS that I plan on running with WRX heads and a built 22t, this one I want to do right. I also want a 9.1-1 compression or close to that with WRX heads, I plan on using a 1.8 crank that I have sitting around and get it balanced, then put in new bearings, forged rods and forged pistons. From what I have read Eagle H beam rods are the best to use and which pistons should I use? I am not building for massive HP say 300-350 at the wheels. I could problem achieve this on a completely stock 22t but also want the experience of building a Subaru block from the ground up. I relies I could have a 2.5 block for what I am going to spend building mine but I want the 22t to be my block when I am done. Any comments or suggestions would be great I am not set in stone on my decisions here I really just want info and ideas right now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow so that Chart is awesome! I have never seen it before but thank you for posting the link, very helpful.

·
Registered
1990 legacy wagon
679 Posts
I have gone through 4 NA pistons while boosting..... Be careful!

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
puting ej22 pistons in it would work but you lose forged pistons.
i think for WRX heads you have to use WRX intake manifold

·
Registered
2001 RS Silverthorn
1,023 Posts
I am doing this build aswell. I have a set of SOHC phase 2 heads that I will use. I am kinda stuck with 2 things right now. Which head gasket to use. I think people have told me a .051 cometic, but I cant think of the exact number right now. The other thing I am stuck on is which intake manifold will work.

So I am subscribed

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,884 Posts
Honestly keep the EJ22t with the stock turbo and everything if you want low end torque. The VF10 it has stock spools very fast great for low end grunt in the dirt. You could use a ported TD04 but any bigger and you will start to low end.

If it was me I would get the cams ground with a mild turbo grind at delta(or see what they recommend). Get some form of EM and tune it too make max power. Add a few bolt ons from like FMIC, uppipe and downpipe. Now you dont have to get expensive stuff. Go to a shop to get the rest done. Very cheap to have custom made just make sure the place does good work and can mandrel bend it too. Just so you know I would get a bigger MAF. It maxes out on the stock turbo around 12# or so. JDM STI or Z32 would be relativly cheap options.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I have 3 EJ22T's, all (auto & 5spd) have come with VF11 Turbos which are supposed to be good for 13psi on a 2.2 after which they are not very good (hot air).
Not sure if a VF10(?-auto Legacys other than USDM) ever came on the ej22t, but odds are these motors will come with a VF11 (My motors - '91 auto=VF11, '92 5Spd=VF11, '94 Auto=VF11).

The pistons in these motors are very good for a stock piston, but are not forged & will crack under repeated detonation.
People have run very high boost 25+psi on these pistons, but a/f ratios & EGT's must be perfect.

·
Registered
2001 RS Silverthorn
1,023 Posts
I have a set of stock EJ22T used pistons and rods for sale if anyone is interested in them. I am going to clean them up tonight.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,884 Posts
susiemk said:
I have 3 EJ22T's, all (auto & 5spd) have come with VF11 Turbos which are supposed to be good for 13psi on a 2.2 after which they are not very good (hot air).
Not sure if a VF10(?-auto Legacys other than USDM) ever came on the ej22t, but odds are these motors will come with a VF11 (My motors - '91 auto=VF11, '92 5Spd=VF11, '94 Auto=VF11).

Ok. I got confused. The jdm legacy motors got that turbo. We got the VF11. About the same thing though.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I think the smallest 350WHP range, bolt on turbo I could think of may be the TD05-16G.
These are a bit larger than TD04's both JDM & USDM, so I'd expect more lag.

I have a TD05-14B on my Homemade OBS-T which uses the same turbine wheel as a 16G with a slightly smaller comp-wheel &, spool is super fast with the stock high compression 2.2l (turbine inlet ported to 2.25" to match my up-pipe).
It was custom fitted to my car as I had 2 of these laying around - left over from my old Galant VR4.

? spool on a low compression 2.2l

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Naa, I have plans that may be explosive so I'll need spares.

Blackbart may have one for sale, pm him.

·
Registered
1996 custom impreza wagon
323 Posts
One thing I havent really heard of many people doing is milling the pistons down slightly to allow for a thinner headgasket. Has anyone done this? this is my plan. I'm going for around 8.3:1

·
Registered
98 2.4rs DOHC hybrid/stroker
74 Posts
yeah Im doing a build very similar to yours (my98 2.5rs using stock DOHC p&p heads on EJ22t shorty) my car should be out tomarrow "WHOOT" and I decided to go with the TD05h big 16G with a 8cm compressor housing,

I like you also wanted the 300-350whp range while still being able to spool up fairly quick as far as you wanting to run a 9:1.1 C/R I believe your going to run into some problems I mean thats why factory turbo subies come with low compression pistons to eliminate this but as for the choices of pistons for the EJ22 your options are slim so choose wisely...

why do you want to use a 1.8 crank?
have you decided on engine management?
for 300-350whp you will also have to upgrade your fuel delivery, Im running a walbro 255 fp and 720cc injectors

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tyman85 said:
One thing I haven’t really heard of many people doing is milling the pistons down slightly to allow for a thinner head gasket. Has anyone done this? this is my plan. I'm going for around 8.3:1
This will not work they way you are thinking it will. By milling down the surface of the piston you are lowering the compression ratio, then you plan on running a thinner head gasket to raise the compression back up again but to but the difference between milling the piston and changing the gasket thickness will put you right back where you started if not with a slightly lower compression ratio and a weaker uncoated piston. I would not recommend doing this. Forged 8.5 pistons can be had for under $450 and for another 250-300 you can have better rods to go with them. I think you would be better off and ultimately more satisfied with a decent set of aftermarket pistons.

2.2 hybrid said:
yeah Im doing a build very similar to yours (my98 2.5rs using stock DOHC p&p heads on EJ22t shorty) my car should be out tomarrow "WHOOT" and I decided to go with the TD05h big 16G with a 8cm compressor housing,

I like you also wanted the 300-350whp range while still being able to spool up fairly quick as far as you wanting to run a 9:1.1 C/R I believe your going to run into some problems I mean that’s why factory turbo subies come with low compression pistons to eliminate this but as for the choices of pistons for the EJ22 your options are slim so choose wisely...

why do you want to use a 1.8 crank?
have you decided on engine management?
for 300-350whp you will also have to upgrade your fuel delivery, Im running a walbro 255 fp and 720cc injectors
I believe with good tuning 9.1 would be very easy to work around and the benefit out weighs the issues of tuning. I have seen many Turbo RS's which run 10.1 run between 5-10 psi reliably, they do eventually fail but that is typically due to the lack of forged internals and/or inferior engine management.

As for what I plan on running for engine management, I am looking at Hydra, Link-plus, Autotronic, or WRX ecu/UCUTEK. This really depends on How difficult it will be to get a stand alone to pass OBD II emissions. I am going to run the 1.8 crank just because it is convient, The 1.8, 2.0, and 2.2 cranks are all the same part number and from what I know totally interchangeable, I just happen to have a 93 1.8 crank I am not doing anything with. This is not a big concern for me one way or the other I would like to get the oil galleys profiled and possibly get the crank re-balanced, this is just a side project if I have the time and money. I have a Walbro set aside already and I want to see ho far I can push a set of stock STI injectors before I need to upgrade."this will be with a VF22 or a VF39 to start off with" I don't like the on off sensation you get when you run overly large injectors, they seem to loose their part throttle response and become too linear. As you can tell this project is a ways out but right now I am in the information and parts gathering stages. If I find a good deal on something I think I need I will purchase it but other wise it just gets added to the to do list.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I agree with the above, milling the piston tops weakens the pistons (less material on the face), & increases combustion chamber volume which undoes the thin HG.

I believe 1.8, 2.0, & 2.2's share rods but ? the crank, as the part# for eagle rods is the same for all 3 of these motors.
PI 2.2E, & 2.2T cranks may be very similar if not the same.

2.2L PII metal headgaskets are supposed to bring the compression up by.5.

I think 9.3:1 would be perfect in terms of cr, but the pistons will have to be custom made.

Tyman85 TRP replied to me this AM, ? if they will ship - pm me

·
Registered
323 Posts
amorton said:
This will not work they way you are thinking it will. By milling down the surface of the piston you are lowering the compression ratio, then you plan on running a thinner head gasket to raise the compression back up again but to but the difference between milling the piston and changing the gasket thickness will put you right back where you started if not with a slightly lower compression ratio and a weaker uncoated piston. I would not recommend doing this. Forged 8.5 pistons can be had for under $450 and for another 250-300 you can have better rods to go with them. I think you would be better off and ultimately more satisfied with a decent set of aftermarket pistons.

I was talking about aftermarket pistons, which I'm not sure if they are the same exact height as stock ej22t pistons. I planned on measuring the amount of protrusion after I received my rods. I bought ross racing pistons that were from axis through a bid so I'm not 100% sure of the height spec. They do have a smaller dish than stock though. But anyway, the amount of material that would need to be taken off even a stock piston would be .3mm. if you did that you would could then use a thinner headgasket which would be .94mm thinner than the thicker gasket.

oh and I plan on coating all my pistons prior to final installation and coating my combustion chamber. Oh and I'm definitely not advising milling stock pistons!..if that's what you thought I meant. The -28 dish kinda makes it harder to pull up the compression ratio that much anyway

·
Registered
323 Posts
yea, I figure any extra money spent on coatings is well worth it. I am sure I will run into some knock during tuning, even if it is small, I'd prefer things to be as safely set up as possible. oh and I also noticed the cometic has even thinner head gaskets available so that is always an option as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts