Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998, Outback, Green and Black
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just looking into putting EJ18 Heads on my EJ22E block.
I need some suggestions, I was planning to send the cams off to delta and get the hot grind done on them. I was just wondering if it has been done before and if it is a good idea.

·
Registered
Silver 05 LGT, Red 98 Trans AM
174 Posts
LOL I have done this before back in the day on my old 93 FWD L. To be honest it really isn't going to do much those 1.8 heads are so small and the ports are so little it is really a waist of time. you would be better off getting a 2.5 block and useing your 2.2 heads and getting cams and that sort of thing.
Mike

·
Registered
Silver 05 LGT, Red 98 Trans AM
174 Posts
is the car originally 1.8? Dont listen to that guy, he obviously has never seen the inside of a 1.8 and 2.2 head.
And why is this?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 98 outback sport, so it has the ej22 in it. i have completely gone through the short block(Wiesco pistons, scat h-beam rods, acl bearings, complete oem gasket set.) the reason i was going to this was because i haven't seen it done yet. i wanted a high compression engine but i wanted something no one else had. i just got off the phone with delta and they are doing the cams for it. the heads i ported polished and flow benched them. and wow they flow.

·
Registered
99 GF
231 Posts
I know this is and old thread but I figured I would post anyways. Im also going to do this setup because if your EJ22 is single port like mine then using the EJ18 heads that are dual port will give better flow especially with the PnP job like I wanna do. If you could it would also be cool to find a set of EJ22 dual port heads.

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
It is a 98 outback sport, so it has the ej22 in it. i have completely gone through the short block(Wiesco pistons, scat h-beam rods, acl bearings, complete oem gasket set.) the reason i was going to this was because i haven't seen it done yet. i wanted a high compression engine but i wanted something no one else had. i just got off the phone with delta and they are doing the cams for it. the heads i ported polished and flow benched them. and wow they flow.

I think it's a great idea in theory. I was going to do this in my 94 L, but I could'nt find enough info about it at the time. I ended up going all 2.2. Motor pulls way better than the old 1.8. Good luck with this hybrid. I'm very interested to know how it goes for you. Please re-post once you get it running. Let us know if you run into any issues. I'm still entertaining this swap, and hopefully you have the rest of the info I was searching for back in September. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
1,651 Posts
I know this is and old thread but I figured I would post anyways. Im also going to do this setup because if your EJ22 is single port like mine then using the EJ18 heads that are dual port will give better flow especially with the PnP job like I wanna do. If you could it would also be cool to find a set of EJ22 dual port heads.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1582961
I have a few sets that are just about to get pnp'd

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't do this the ej18 heads look the same but are not the same. They actually more closely resemble the ej25d heads in the fact of the egr and all that kind of stuff you end up having to delete a bunch of stuff. I built this engine. it ran for 88.1 miles. and destroyed a piston. The combustion chambers are actually alot smaller.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts

HP numbers for single & dual port 2.2's are the same 135hp same 9.5:1 CR & intake so the stock dual port 2.2l heads did not add any hp.

Maybe porting will help...?...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go to any junk yard and get yourself a set of heads off of a 90-94 legacy 2.2. They are dual port heads. Do not use Ej18 heads!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there are two ports on the 1.8 heads that are not on the 2.2 heads. there is one on the back of the driver side head and one on the side of the passenger side head. they are both related to the EGR systen so you would have to get some plugs to seal them up. then you come to the next problem. the combustion chamber are a little bit smaller which WILL give you a BIG compression bump. i for get exactly what is is but here is the after math

1 - 14 of 14 Posts