Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my coupe is equipped with the EJ222 and the 4EAT anything specific i would need to purchase to complete the swap?

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
Yes, you will need to pay for your car's wiring harness, and the new engine's wiring harness to be merged.

I had Iwire do mine, it was about $1500 after taxes and shipping and buying a harness.

Reactions: dsk_subie

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o
Yes, you will need to pay for your car's wiring harness, and the new engine's wiring harness to be merged.

I had Iwire do mine, it was about $1500 after taxes and shipping and buying a harness.
otherwise is it pretty “straightforward” in a sense? (i know it won’t really be easy) i’ve never done a swap before so excuse my lack of knowledge 😅

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
If you buy a wrecked donor car, then you'll have everything you need. Otherwise you'll get nickled and dimed to death with all the little hoses and lines and plastic pieces, sensors, brackets and etc.

It's a big project that will take you 6 months to a year or longer to finish. But I think it's worth it.

If you can disassemble parts and reassemble them on a different car, I think you can do this.

First step I think is to find and contact a company who will merge the two wiring harness, and see what they say. The place I had do my harness for instance requires you to have your car at their shop if you're doing an H6 swap or FA20 swap. That would obviously add to the expense due to shop labor.

More common swaps (ej205 or ej255/7 for example) they just merge the harnesses together and you do all install work. But there are caveats and engines they won't do, or will charge extra to do (the ej255 from a Legacy GT/Outback XT is an example that comes to mind)

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
A big thing I'd make sure of is whether the Subaru ECU you want to use is equipped with an immobilizer.
That's another great reason to have the complete donor car.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
377 Posts
If you do want to go with an immobilizer-equipped ECU it's important to make sure that the matching gauge cluster actually fits where you want it to. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts