Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little searching and couldnt find anything.

One of my friends has a 96 LX with a Ej22 in it.

I am wondering if its possible to swap in an EJ22T shortblock, add turbo, and run some from of EM? (not actually going to try this, its just a question for maybe a future project)

This seems like it would be fairly simple and cheap.

Has anyone does this? Results?

thanks,
stephan

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
yea, he could swap the long block and add an i/c + some ems and have a turbo impreza.

its basically what i did exept im using ej22t heads on an ej18 block with an ej18 intake manifold

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought most NA EJ22 are single port.

I hear that people also put the EJ22T shortblocks into the EJ25D heads and mani.

Also that the EJ25D shortblock wont fit onto EJ22 heads (water holes dont match)

If this is true that would mean that EJ22T and EJ22 NA are not compatible...?

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
96+ are singles usually but nething before that is dual.

the ej25d/22t hybrid is an old setup but can support big whp. ej25d sb + ej22 heads = high comp ghetto n/a motor....

nothing is 100% compatible but u make compromises..my ej22t heads bolted right up to my ej18 block and manifold. lol

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice,

Yeah well i was thinking about this from my friends 96, and the reason for just swapping the SB was to be able to pass emissions still.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
96 is the easiet obd2 year to pass inspection, lol. my 96 didnt have an egr valve and neither did the 91 ej22t

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Not sure what your goal is but the 2.2s can take a little boost with no problem. If you want more than a little boost ej22t pistons can be used in the 2.2e cases or you can just use a ej22t shortblock like you want to do.

I'm actually about to start to put together a PhaseII 2.2 heads / built ej22t shortblock (pistons, RODS, bearings/seals) motor for my OBS-t.
I've been turbo'd on a stock 2.2e since '04 on my '99 OBS-t.
It runs well & passes OBDII plug in inspection, but my friends are starting to make some serious street cars (worst of which is a built motor turbo'd 3.2l M3 motor swapped into a 318TI ) so its about time for an upgrade - I could at least try to keep up...

I want to track the current stock 2.2e longblock set-up before the end of this year.

What is the 1/4 mile record for a turbo'd/supercharged 2.2e with a stock long block (no thick headgaskets, no head swaps including DOHC conversions, 100% stock longblock)?????

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
Not sure what your goal is but the 2.2s can take a little boost with no problem. If you want more than a little boost ej22t pistons can be used in the 2.2e cases or you can just use a ej22t shortblock like you want to do.

I'm actually about to start to put together a PhaseII 2.2 heads / built ej22t shortblock (pistons, RODS, bearings/seals) motor for my OBS-t.
I've been turbo'd on a stock 2.2e since '04 on my '99 OBS-t.
It runs well & passes OBDII plug in inspection, but my friends are starting to make some serious street cars (worst of which is a built motor turbo'd 3.2l M3 motor swapped into a 318TI ) so its about time for an upgrade - I could at least try to keep up...

I want to track the current stock 2.2e longblock set-up before the end of this year.

What is the 1/4 mile record for a turbo'd/supercharged 2.2e with a stock long block (no thick headgaskets, no head swaps including DOHC conversions, 100% stock longblock)?????
probably doug (reddevil) he ran mid 12s on his current dohc setup i think but im sure he was in the low 13s with the open deck ej22

im unloading my ej18t most likely and am gonna rebuild my phase 1 ej22e for my wrx perhaps:flame:
susie are u using ej205 heads? i believe you told me that they can be used on phase II ej22 manifolds..which is good news :)!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
No its the WRX intake manifold that can be used with phaseII 2.2 heads (BIG valve cover like a SOHC 2.5 motor).
The TGV have to be swapped LHS goes on the right side of the motor & RHS goes on the left side of the motor fuel lines = custom/modded.

I actually have to pick up a '07 2.5 intake manifold from my local J/Y today for more experiments....

RD is the quickest on a modded 2.2l turbo conversion (Dohc / low compression) @ mid 12s, but I don't think he was super quick on the stock high compression 2.2l longblock - I remember high 14's for some strange reason.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
No its the WRX intake manifold that can be used with phaseII 2.2 heads (BIG valve cover like a SOHC 2.5 motor).
The TGV have to be swapped LHS goes on the right side of the motor & RHS goes on the left side of the motor fuel lines = custom/modded.

I actually have to pick up a '07 2.5 intake manifold from my local J/Y today for more experiments....

RD is the quickest on a modded 2.2l turbo conversion (Dohc / low compression) @ mid 12s, but I don't think he was super quick on the stock high compression 2.2l longblock - I remember high 14's for some strange reason.
yea perhaps 14's when he first started with the eaton blower on it..iunoo

well if the ej205 i/m fits on those heads, cant wrx heads fit on the 97+ ej22e manifolds? i wonder if the cam pickups are the same

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Do not quote me on this but I thought I read something (written by Brydon-? Teal Impreza/orange rims avatar) that did say the cam pick-up points were the same for a WRX or a SOHC 2.5.

Folks swap 2.2s for 2.5's so it may work on a PII 2.2 again BIG SOHC 2.5l style v-cover version....

I am personally running a WRX EJ20G off a ej22t ECU in my old school Legacy Turbo, 18-19PSI on a TD05-16G + alky no problem (? if this is why you thought I ran WRX heads on the OBS-t)
BUT
the ej22t heads are the old ones (1.8 style v-covers) & require the use of OLD DOHC heads (2.5DOHC, EJ20G, EJ20H, EJ20K, EJ20R) to start up on a sohc ECU - once it starts up e-manage or do whatever you want to tune it.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
i think you said somewhere here that u were gonna put ej205 heads on your 2.2 block and get em ported down in puerto rico..

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I did say I was going to possibly send a set of heads to PR to get ported, but they were the PII 2.2 heads.
I like to do "different" things & WRX heads on a 2.2 is really just a big WRX swap nothing really special.

I do plan on using the WRX intake manifold on the motor that will be built for my wagon which will be a built ej22t shortblock, ej22e PII heads (? ported or just refreshed), WRX intake manifold/modded injectors, Hydra, GT30-GT35-? on exact turbo that will be used.

I plan on slowly building this motor - no rush as my ej22e is still running fine.

I was also thinking about just getting a ej257 as the cost is almost the same as a full ej22t build, but again it is a super common way to go now + I have 3 ej22t shortblocks & I think a forged piston / forged aftermarket rod ej22t could stand up to more abuse than a stock ej257.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts