Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello subie owners, so I was driving my stock 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.2l on the freeway when all of a sudden it would step on the gas and it was decelerating, it was jumping a bit like if it was struggling to give gas and while decelerating, I stopped on the side and the car shut off, I tried turning it on and it would crank but not turn on. People on Facebook were telling me to check my timing belt but it looks good. I always switched the spark plugs and that wasn’t even the issue, any thoughts on what it could be? (Also I did check if it was the battery)

·
Registered
'96 OBS
350 Posts
Make absolutely 100% sure that it's getting gas to the engine. I'd check:
  • Fuel (Just add a gallon for good measure unless it's literally already full to the brim)
  • fuel pump
  • see if it smells like gas in the intake after it's been cranking for a while

if it smells like gas after cranking, time to check for spark (and also read OBDII codes of course).

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
90 Posts
John has it pretty well. Combustion engines only need (in simplified terms) 3 things to run: fuel, spark, and compression. Nothing should have changed compression wise, and you've checked the spark, so it's more than likely a fuel issue.

I would start by turning the key between the Off and On positions several times to see if I could hear the fuel pump priming. It should sound like a faint mechanical whirring noise coming from behind the rear seats. If you don't hear that, either your pump or the fuel relay went bad. If that's not it, I'd pull off one of the fuel lines past the regulator and have someone prime the car again, to see if I'm getting fuel past there. (careful, this would/will be messy. Just hold a rag on the end of the line to catch the spurt of gas). More than likely it sounds like the fuel pump went bad though, same thing happened to my camaro a few years back.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
'96 OBS
350 Posts
Last time this happened to me it was because my gauge cluster wasn't hooked up (long story) and I completely underestimated how far I had driven since my last fill-up. I spent like 30 minutes troubleshooting before realizing I might have just completely run out of fuel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So you ran out of fuel and that was your issue this time around? Certainly sounds like a fuel issue. I had a 91 240SX that would break up around 4k rpms and start to decelerate even at WOT. Turns out the pump sock fell off and my pump was trying to suck the sock into the inlet, restricting fuel flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts