Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have tons of mileage on my EJ18 w/FWD, let's just say I broke the motor...I want to do a high power engine swap along with AWD but, I am enduring my last month in the Marine Corps. Can I bolt an EJ22 up(w/FWD), then put AWD in later this year?

Thanks,
Maximus!!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I think that I would rather endure a month in the USMC rather than than the swap from 1.8 to 2.2T...THEN...to AWD from FWD! eeeyishh.:run: :eek:

I would probably do both at once to ease the pain and frustration....or concentrate it to one segment of misery.

Physically, the 2.2 should bolt up to the trans.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know It sounds wierd of a FWD 2.2L Impreza but my buddy owns and knows people with junk yards who will sell me an EJ18 and/or an EJ22 for under 40,000 miles (big break from 178,000!!) and for $300.00. If this is temporary, say... a year this can't be passed up. Right away that is cheaper than a WRX monthly payment. I just simply need a vehicle while in the midst of trying to join the Operators union coming out from the Marines. Once I get settled down, EJ20 and AWD. Slow process but... I can only make do with what I can get, right!

Max

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I was in the Army for 6yrs. Any service is better than none. (in my opinion)

If you can get a good deal on a 2.2 (didn't notice you were staying NA), then go for it. You'll need the car to get around anyway. It should go straightforward. You might not even need to change the ECU (from swaps I read about).

Later on, you can do the AWD swap since you'll already have an intimate knowledge of the nuts&bolts end of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts