Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Impreza WRX Red
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soo i wrote a novel in another thread explaining everything but not getting answers so the swaps department might be a better place to ask

feel free to read as i just want to know a couple of things this is a daily car not looking for much hp

1993 wrx rhd impreza with ej20t dohc

i want to drop in a ej22 sohc just keep the turbo at lets say 5psi

i currently own a whole impreza 97 with ej22 sohc single port heads

i can get some ej25 duel port heads easy actually i might have some laying around

this is what im thinking as a build

Engine
- ej22 (my block that i already got)
- ej22, ej25, sohc heads
- ej20t intake manifold
- td05h turbo
- some ebay exhaust manifold + up pipe
- stock wrx downpipe + exhaust (whatever comes with the car)
- Probably a fmic with 2inch piping

Drivetrain
- wrx transmission
- 4.11 rear diff (maybe)

Stopping Power
- WRX 4pot front 2Pot rear callipers

i would look to get better than stock hp lol, (obviously) i think 180-200 hp, daily driver maybe some track events nothing serious, yet... LOL :p got stung by the suby bite

HOW TO TUNE??

i was thinking i could une with a Apexi S-AFC,

should i undo all the wrx wiring and put in the ej22 wiring from the other car minus door locks, lights (just engine harness) and use the s-afc to tune for boost, also might be a good idea as my ej22 harness is obd-2 and wrx is obd-1

or if i can use the wrx harness en ecu (even though im going from dohc to sohc)

the rev limiter is stock 7000 (7500-8500 if chipped as i've seen on some different jdm wrx) would i be able to lower the rev limiter to i think it's 6000-6500 for an ej22?

also was thinking if i switch the wrx harness to the ej22 sohc harness can i plug in an wrx 2001-2005 ecu with these products i could just reflash the ecu and tune as i need, at my local tunner lachute performance they do work on some of the most awesome subarus in my country
Lachute Performance |
Tactrix OpenPort 1.3U Universal for Mitsubishi and Subaru, ECU-PCM Reflashing Hardware ~ All OBD ~ and Nothing But OBD
2001-2002 WRX Reflash Connector, ECU-PCM Reflashing Hardware ~ All OBD ~ and Nothing But OBD
2003-2005 WRX Reflash Connector, ECU-PCM Reflashing Hardware ~ All OBD ~ and Nothing But OBD

hope you guys can help a bit

thanks for reading

shawn

ps : :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
I'm doing a similar setup. The EJ251 SOHC heads are a good way to give you a bit compression drop and they flow much better than the EJ22 heads do. If you use the EJ22 harnesses, keep the trigger gears from the EJ22. The trigger patters are different, but the cam gears bolt up properly. Use the timing belt for the heads (EJ25 SOHC).

I have no idea how the trigger pattern is with the OBD1 but I would guess the pattern is the older type like the phase 1 EJ22, so you would need a phase 1 cam trigger gear if that was the case. I do not know this, I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza WRX Red
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm doing a similar setup. The EJ251 SOHC heads are a good way to give you a bit compression drop and they flow much better than the EJ22 heads do. If you use the EJ22 harnesses, keep the trigger gears from the EJ22. The trigger patters are different, but the cam gears bolt up properly. Use the timing belt for the heads (EJ25 SOHC).

I have no idea how the trigger pattern is with the OBD1 but I would guess the pattern is the older type like the phase 1 EJ22, so you would need a phase 1 cam trigger gear if that was the case. I do not know this, I'm just guessing.
ok so good idea to used ej251 sohc heads thats great, the harness in the car right now would be wrx dohc obd-1,

if i swap in my obd-2 harness into the car, how would i tune it for turbo then?

edit, been googling all night, and i found on nasioc this

bobjr94 say this

'' i swaped a phase 2 -2.5 into a 96 impreza with a 1.8...between the phase 1 and 2 2.5, the intake manifold is different(bolt holes wont line up to the heads), the idle air valve is different but throttle bodies bolt holes are the same...it would be easier to use the dohc heads but everyone says the sohc heads are better..cobbtuning has a flow test of both heads and more info...the cam and crank sensors are the same on any 90- legacy,impreza,1.8 2.0(import),2.2 2.5,etc...throttle sensors have changed a time or 2, all the fuel lines,heater hoses,,etc are in the same place.....your dohc computer will run a sohc just fine ''

what i understand is i need to use all my old sensors and intake manifold if possible which the 2.0L manifold will fit the 2.5 so that's good, and the ecu will run the sohc heads

for tuning i'm guessing a Apexi AFC Neo

and for data logging to see a/f ratios etc while tuning i will need the evoscan software and this little harness adapter

http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-...nitor-i---suits-all-1990-1998-subaru-vehicles

http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-.../mitsubishi/subaru/obdii/can-evoscan-software

so i think i got it pretty much settled as in what i'll need, like block and tune ect, pretty happy i guess now, need to find me that rhd jdm wrx subaru impreza ;) im off to the searches and keeping you guys updated, and in the case that i'm wrong PLEASE ANSWER!!!

shawn ;)

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
This is too much of a mess. Just do a USDM WRX swap and wiring merge. Keep the stock TD04L and exhaust manifold with an upgraded uppipe. Put on a turbo back exhaust and a tune. This is plenty of fun.

I run a TD04L on 16psi peak on E85. Loads of fun! ......especially with a 6spd

·
Registered
1993 Impreza WRX Red
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is too much of a mess. Just do a USDM WRX swap and wiring merge. Keep the stock TD04L and exhaust manifold with an upgraded uppipe. Put on a turbo back exhaust and a tune. This is plenty of fun.

I run a TD04L on 16psi peak on E85. Loads of fun! ......especially with a 6spd
why would i want to downgrade?

ej20g turbo for starters has a td05h ;) and the ej20 is closed deck runs 14psi stock and puts out 240hp this is the wrx 1993 version, engine is perfectly fine, i just would rather run an ej22t sohc or ej22 sohc N/A as i'm looking to get 7-8L/100k, 33 - 28 mpg on the highway as i was getting 33mpg with my stock ej22 N/A

this isn't my fun around the track car, i have another car for that

like i said im looking for 180-200hp

if you don't approve then change pages as im asking how to run this not of put a wrx in it when it would already have a wrx...

"Economical Daily Drive Turbo Subaru"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.