Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka obs111
2004 WRB WRX
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, my ej20k is running lean. But, it gets a little tricky. See, under a load and under boost, it runs well. But, when it is at idle, it runs super lean.

I have talked with a few guys on the forums already about it and we concluded that I shouldn't be worried about the car running lean when it is simply idling. I was reading around 16 on my AFR during idle, so I felt it wasn't anything to worry too much about. But now I am reading all the way up to 17 during idle and I am beginning to get a little worried ( I am still reading normal AFR numbers while under load and boost).

Should I be worried if it is only lean at idle?

I have a feeling it could be my narrow band o2 sensor because I do not have the OEM EJ20K sensor, I have a universal Subaru sensor. Also, I have a feeling it could be my fuel pump because I think I have a GD Walbro, not a GC.

Any other ideas of what could be causing this? I will admit I am kind of a freak when it comes to reading my gauge. If one little thing starts to go wrong, I stress out about it. I especially stress out when it is something that I do not have that much knowledge about. So any help and input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If you were having fuel flow issues you would be much leaner under boost/load than idle.
A 255 is a 255 is a 255. Gd pump flows as much as Gc pump if they are rated the same
So hence its not the pump

If anything change your fuel filter if it will make you feel better.

Have you tired recalibrating your WB 02 since it was unhooked for a while?

What kind of numbers are you seeing under load and boost?

Order a legacy ej22 turbo 02 and swap them out, although at idle I am not sure how much of a difference it makes, not a bad idea to lose the splice.

Another key note that you left out is that you are using PFC not a stock ECU. I am not familiar enough to know how they work open loop and closed loop compared to a factory ecu

·
aka obs111
2004 WRB WRX
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were having fuel flow issues you would be much leaner under boost/load than idle.
A 255 is a 255 is a 255. Gd pump flows as much as Gc pump if they are rated the same
So hence its not the pump

If anything change your fuel filter if it will make you feel better.

Have you tired recalibrating your WB 02 since it was unhooked for a while?
No I haven't tried recalibrating it. I guess that would be a good idea.

What kind of numbers are you seeing under load and boost?
Under load,14 under boost, 10.5-11

Order a legacy ej22 turbo 02 and swap them out, although at idle I am not sure how much of a difference it makes, not a bad idea to lose the splice.

Another key note that you left out is that you are using PFC not a stock ECU. I am not familiar enough to know how they work open loop and closed loop compared to a factory ecu.
Whoops. Yeah, I'm running PFC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As long as it idles smooth, then should be OK. EJ's don't like idling with lean AFR's and will be rough or even stall. It could be your 02 sensor. Are you running stand alone EMS or stock ECU? gauge may need to be calibrated as well.

·
aka obs111
2004 WRB WRX
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might be of relevance. I think the engine has developed a new "whisping" noise. I have never heard it before. The whisp comes when I am in boost, yet it is not the turbo. From trying to study where the sound is, it sounds to me like it may be coming from the TMIC. It is very hard to explain the sound through typing, but I will try. When I am in boost, I hear the turbo and then I hear a faint, fast "whisp, whisp, whisp" lol any ideas? I know how broad that is, sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.