Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 wrx sti type r!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i was looking and it seems that the apexi power fc is one of the better tuning systems out there for jdm engines im not the most familiar with tuning but ive been reading alot of info and it gets overwelming sometimes haha but ive read that lots of people get the apexi to tune there engines because lots of tuners use that system i have been running 94 octane in my car since i got it from japan and it has been fine would any other ej20k owners like to chime in and give me any helpful info on how the systems work? i found one on ebay that says it would work on my car its just very expensive so id like to understand how neccesary or helpful it really is and if it could save my car in the long run.
96 98 Subaru Impreza EJ20K GC8 GF8 Version 3 4 Apexi Power 414BF005 | eBay

sorry about punctuation doing this on my cell phone

·
Registered
2000 AW RSTi sedan
180 Posts
Holy crap, punctuation man! I have an EJ20K and tuned with a Power FC. Not the most flexible standalone out there but for the price, it's pretty adequate. The key is to find a tuner who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
1998 wrx sti type r!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry about the punctuation i try on my cell phone just end up getting frustrated haha. i live in vancouver bc so i know that there is quite a few tuners around that work with power fc system, right now its between the tuner or new rims and tires for spring so im just trying to find out some more info on how useful it is.

·
Registered
2000 AW RSTi sedan
180 Posts
Without a tune on a JDM engine running on North American gas, you may be running on borrowed time. I would budget for the tune before putting too many miles on the engine.

·
Registered
1998 wrx sti type r!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I have just read online that a jdm ej20k is tuned for 100 ron, and here in canada we get 94 octane witch converts to around 98-99 ron , so is it really that big of a deal for these if your running 94? I would understand 91 octane but 94 just seems so close to 100 ron to make much difference

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Apexi PFC's are decent standalone. I'm running my v5 STi with one. Copilot and FC-Edit are sort of odd tuning programs but I'm sure a professional tuner can tune it just fine. I like having the commander though. Real time data, including knock monitoring and on the fly tuning is nice. Also, if your o2 sensor ever goes bad, causing a lean condition, you can force open loop which can save your engine.

Another plug n play ECU that you should check out is a Link Plug-in ECU's

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Oooh Like. What's their customer support like in the US? Looks like they're based in the UK?
I personally have not bought anything from them yet, but Andy is on point about returning emails and everything. There's a thread about ESL, that Andy has even posted in right here:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f72/t173...ng-into-v3-4-sti-jecs-ecus.html?highlight=ESL

From what i've read, and the software that i've played with, I don't know why anyone uses anything else in a street car.

·
Registered
2000 AW RSTi sedan
180 Posts
Well it would be a great option for us swapped guys. I did my research and PFC or Link were my choices at the time. IIRC Link was priced way more than the used PFC that I found. Not that I need new engine management, but I'll read up on ESL regardless.

·
Registered
1998 BMW M3
2,657 Posts
Power FC is designed for the average idiot to just plug in and use; it was designed with plug and play massive user base ease of use in mind.

it has conservative base maps that allow you to fire up the car and drive it to your professional tuner; you can just drive the car around as is also if its stock. The power FC base map will actually make less power than the STi OEM computer does; its less aggressively mapped.

if you want to make more power out of the car perhaps purchasing a spare new short block would be a good idea before you take it to be dyno tuned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts