Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Ej20g swap standalone ecu

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FryphaX 
#1 ·
So I have a 2000 2.5rs and I want to swap a ej20g or ej20k into it. I've been looking at threads all day and I just have a couple questions. If I have an ej20g engine harness, that should work without any merging right? Are the ej20g and ej20k harnesses identical? The engine will drop in no problem so all I have to worry about is the ecu. I've seen that linkecu and apexi powerfc have standalones meant for the v3/v4 wrx. Would those plug into the 2000rs with no issues except for emissions, I cant tell because the ecu's look like the connections vary by year.

#3 ·
I just want a cheap build to still enjoy subarus, I prefer to do the wiring myself and from what I've read the wiring isnt as extensive as a 205 or 207 swap. I'm probably gonna sell my 2012 wrx to get a m3 next year and I dont want my only Subaru to be NA. A 207 or 205 swap isn't worth the extra time/money for me.

#4 ·

This is cheap. The EJ20G/K have been replaced with cheap USDM EJ205s, JDM EJ205s and EJ20X/Y. If you are doing a stand-along the wiring is super easy. Take your stock harness and modify it for the EJ205. You can drive the coils in wasted spark and not need to add any wires. You will probably have a few wires you can repurpose for boost control if needed or just run and external gate.

#5 ·
Ultimately chasing outdated parts for the earlier engines is going to cost you more time, money and hassle than just running a bugeye manifold/ecu. With the older engines you are pretty much stuck running them. With a 205 you can run just about anything up to 08.

I just saw a clapped out Bugeye WRX for $150 the other day. Can't get much cheaper than that for a wiring swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.