Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Version 1 EJ20G STI Swap
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, super new to the forums here. Glad to be a part of RS25 now!

I've a '93 GC8 L which had a full '94 JDM EJ20G STI swap, transmission and all done by a previous owner. I bought it rom a good friend of mine as a project. I'm aware of the growing scarcity of first gen Impreza parts, let alone Japanese version 1 parts... but since I'm still learning on the fly, I have a couple questions.

It seems the starter on the car is toast. At the moment, the car won't crank, but when I turn the key I'm getting all of the acc. power just fine. Fuel pressure is good; everything checks out. I've narrowed down what it could seemingly be to the starter. Since this is an EJ20, I think any starter from a generic EJ20, even a USDM one from around '94 should work, but I can't pretend I'm fully confident about that statement. I could use some advice on that!

I've also got a question about wiring harnesses for anyone who's well versed in the older JDM EJs. Since my gc uses a custom chopped harness, I was considering buying a spare harness to have done professionally. It seems iWire is no longer making version 1-4 harnesses, and I think my only other chances of finding one now are with an imported EJ20G, if I ever even see one again. The current harness in the car was by all means done well, but you can tell it's 'custom'. What are the other options for me being able to find a 20G harness? Would it be possible to use parts of a jdm 207 harness?

Any answer's are greatly appreciated. I love my gc, and I want to make sure it stays mint for as long as possible. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,065 Posts
I'm 95% sure a 1990s subaru manual trans starter is a direct replacement. Talking about EJ engines here, not some Loyale or Justy starter.

As far as the harness goes, if you spend the time and delve into the service manuals, I bet you can use an original 93 USDM/CDM model harness and add what you need to run that as turbo. Just very time consuming.

What do you mean Iwire doesn't make ej20g harnesses any more? I thought you sent them your car's dash harness and the new engine's dash harness, and they combined it into one. Did they used to make ej20g harnesses from scratch?

·
Registered
'93 Version 1 EJ20G STI Swap
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean Iwire doesn't make ej20g harnesses any more? I thought you sent them your car's dash harness and the new engine's dash harness, and they combined it into one. Did they used to make ej20g harnesses from scratch?
Haha, my mistake on the wording. I think it's that iWire isn't working on version 1-4 harnesses anymore. As in if you want them to chop yours, odds are they'll refuse. At least that's what I can gather from reading the notice on their site. If they were making 20G harnesses from scratch I'd be all over that :cry:. Otherwise yeah, I figured what you're saying about the starter is true. It'll definitely take some more research to figure out what exactly I need.

Thanks for the reply, Mike!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts