Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,075 Posts
Do you think he has the missing parts still? That would make things a lot easier and cheaper to finish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do you think he has the missing parts still? That would make things a lot easier and cheaper to finish.
Probably not but I can ask since he builds a lot of subaru engines and does a lot of GC builds, but afterall I want to do most of it myself. I'll lyk once I get it in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So a quick update on the GC8, currently I've gotten a quote from a shop saying that they can do the swap under $1500 CAD, which I'm happy off. But given the information they've provided and when I tell them it's a ej20g into a v4 wrx, they said the swap would've been a straight swap which I highly doubt. A friend of mine had gave me another path on working on the gc8, which is rebuilding the whole engine with the current parts within the engine. Hence in a nutshell, it's basically getting the ej20g and combining with what's left in the ej20k. By that I would need atleast another $5000 CAD which I do not have a budget for. My soul purpose of having the gc8 is to sell it when it's state legal which is in a year or so. I'm considering going with the ej20g swap but the thing is if I swap it in would it run for long? that's the question I'm asking about. Sorry for the rant but ill update yall with the build.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,075 Posts
Any used engine is a gamble. Could last no time at all or it could last years. If you can't find an ej20k intake, what about selling the ej20g and purchasing an ej20k engine from an importer?

As I mentioned on the first page, the version 3/4 automatic cars got an engine called the ej20g also (once again, they are easily identified by the coilpack and spark plug wires on top of the intake). That would work and be cheaper than an ej20k. here's a "for example"

or:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any used engine is a gamble. Could last no time at all or it could last years. If you can't find an ej20k intake, what about selling the ej20g and purchasing an ej20k engine from an importer?

As I mentioned on the first page, the version 3/4 automatic cars got an engine called the ej20g also (once again, they are easily identified by the coilpack and spark plug wires on top of the intake). That would work and be cheaper than an ej20k. here's a "for example"
I've seen that and that should be the v2 ej20g or the v3/4 gc8's engine. I'm thinking of buying a running ej20k and slamming that in since it's a plug and play. More or less I'll make 500-600 off it hopefully. As for now I just want to make sure the car runs, if it doesn't I'm waiting it to be us legal and selling it to the states since it's a super clean chassis.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

or:

Found an EJ20K, intake manifold, and apparently it fits the 207. If that's the case I have a 207 manifold too. If it's the same or similar I have the build ready in no time. I will purchase a engine stand and try it out soon.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,075 Posts
Bolt pattern is different. The version 5-6 intakes are phase 2 and won't physically bolt up to version 1-4.

Either the ad is mislabeled or subaru named the automatic (and possibly forester) engines with the old engine nomenclature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bolt pattern is different. The version 5-6 intakes are phase 2 and won't physically bolt up to version 1-4.

Either the ad is mislabeled or subaru named the automatic (and possibly forester) engines with the old engine nomenclature.
This sounds promising to me thou.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,075 Posts
Yeah that is, but unfortunately you're gonna spend so much money and time tracking down the electronics for it, under manifold inlet and other piece. There's no commonality with non-turbo parts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah that is, but unfortunately you're gonna spend so much money and time tracking down the electronics for it, under manifold inlet and other piece. There's no commonality with non-turbo parts
Shop got that covered, now the issue is the tmic, I have a 207 tmic and I don't think it's going to fit. If it fits I'll be happy about it but currently I'm spending around 3k CAD to rebuild a whole ej20g engine... Since I got all the gasket and head gasket kit.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,075 Posts
3k CAD?! What about buying a version 3/4 "ej20g" like this?

If your ej207 intercooler is from a GC8, it will fit reasonably well, reason being the version 3-4 and 5-6 hoods are the same thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

If your ej207 intercooler is from a GC8, it will fit reasonably well, reason being the version 3-4 and 5-6 hoods are the same thing.
I'm pretty much committed to a full engine rebuild xD. The gasket kit is already here and everything else is ready. If the engine you provided has all the work done to it then I don't mind scraping it but currently I'm going to fully rebuilt a ej20g at this point so idk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

+ I'm in Canada so that's not an option for me

21 - 33 of 33 Posts