Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently brought a gc8 with a blown motor, Just the blown motor nothing more everything else in the car is completely fine. I've located a EJ20G motor shown below and brought it thought it will be a simple plug and play with my current gc8. But apparently my friend told me that the EJ20G would not work on older gc8 chassis EJ20G is v1 gc8 and my current gc8 should be a v4-6.

So my question is that is it true that the EJ20G won't work on the newer GC8 v2 above chassis?
If not is there any way to make it work?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
You can swap over the version 1/2 intake manifold and 100% of all wiring and sensors onto the version 3-4 ej20g, and vice versa and that will work.

Version 5-6 is completely different and won't work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can swap over the version 1/2 intake manifold and 100% of all wiring and sensors onto the version 3-4 ej20g, and vice versa and that will work.

Version 5-6 is completely different and won't work.
I'm not sure if my gc8 is v4 or v5, but I can tell by the wing right? Pretty sure this one is a version 4

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
You can tell by the engine. Post a pic

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
What does the silver data plate say, on the right-hand-drive's passenger side in the engine bay? It should say something about the model code and engine code.

Example:

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
Yes it's a version 3/4 (it's actually a version 4, but 3 is very close), with an ej20k engine.

To make the old ej20g work, you will need to install an ej20k intake manifold, all wiring, sensors onto the old school ver 1/2 engine.

Note that the ver 1/2 has radically different turbo and intake tract from ver 3/4, and you'll need to source those parts if they didn't come with your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it's a version 3/4 (it's actually a version 4, but 3 is very close), with an ej20k engine.

To make the old ej20g work, you will need to install an ej20k intake manifold, all wiring, sensors onto the old school ver 1/2 engine.

Note that the ver 1/2 has radically different turbo and intake tract from ver 3/4, and you'll need to source those parts if they didn't come with your car.
I'm actually planning to get a new intake so my question is the intake manifold and wiring. Any chance you know the estimate price for the extra swaps?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
What do you mean by "extra swaps?"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean by "extra swaps?"
Well currently I'm doing a swap from the G into the K. The thing is I have other spare parts such as a 207 blown engine with intercoolers and others. Also why would I need to install a 20k manifold? does the 20G one doesn't work?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
Electronically the version 1/2 intake manifold is not compatible with version 3/4. Physically they interchange however.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
To add to the thread:

Version 1/2 EJ20G (what your first pic shows)

(Notice no coil pack, and turbo inlet is top left)

Version 3/4 EJ20G:

(Notice it has a coil pack in the middle and the turbo inlet is bottom left, throttle cable goes to the opposite side, and many other little changes)

Version 3/4 EJ20K

(Other than the intake manifold being painted red, I would not be able to tell the difference between this and the Ver 3/4 EJ20G. The 3/4 EJ20G has higher compression and a smaller turbo since it was designed for automatic WRX's and foresters, whereas the EJ20K was on manual WRX's and STI's)

As I mentioned, if you want to run the engine in the first picture, you can do that if you locate a complete ej20k (OR ej20g version 3/4) intake manifold. You'll have to deal with the ej20g version 1/2 turbo and it's intake tract being wrong too (can be solved by using a modern turbo such as a VF39/48/whatever kind of STI turbo).

Reactions: SoCoNoHa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To add to the thread:

Version 1/2 EJ20G (what your first pic shows)
View attachment 85800
(Notice no coil pack, and turbo inlet is top left)

Version 3/4 EJ20G:
View attachment 85801
(Notice it has a coil pack in the middle and the turbo inlet is bottom left, throttle cable goes to the opposite side, and many other little changes)

Version 3/4 EJ20K
View attachment 85802
(Other than the intake manifold being painted red, I would not be able to tell the difference between this and the Ver 3/4 EJ20G. The 3/4 EJ20G has higher compression and a smaller turbo since it was designed for automatic WRX's and foresters, whereas the EJ20K was on manual WRX's and STI's)

As I mentioned, if you want to run the engine in the first picture, you can do that if you locate a complete ej20k (OR ej20g version 3/4) intake manifold. You'll have to deal with the ej20g version 1/2 turbo and it's intake tract being wrong too (can be solved by using a modern turbo such as a VF39/48/whatever kind of STI turbo).
Thanks for the info :0. I'm trying to locate a 20k intake manifold. Currently I'll try to put the 20g in first and see how things go. But since if I change out the original manifold, I couldn't use the stock turbo right?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
I don't think the ej20g turbo will physically clear the ej20k intake manifold. But I haven't tried it.

Ej20G version 1/2 turbos: notice the large 90* inlet. That would interfere with the ej20k intake manifold, I think.

Version 3 to present STI turbo style:

Reactions: SoCoNoHa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think the ej20g turbo will physically clear the ej20k intake manifold. But I haven't tried it.

Ej20G version 1/2 turbos: notice the large 90* inlet. That would interfere with the ej20k intake manifold, I think.
View attachment 85810

Version 3 to present STI turbo style:
View attachment 85811
Since I have a blown 207, hope that the 207 turbo will fit, or else I'll have to go with the hks t04z. If that even fits.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,145 Posts
The turbos you are mentioning are for under manifold inlet. The vf28 has the same chance of fitting/not fitting as the ej207 one. Just try the ones you have on hand.

What happened to all the missing parts in the engine bay of your new GC?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The turbos you are mentioning are for under manifold inlet. The vf28 has the same chance of fitting/not fitting as the ej207 one. Just try the ones you have on hand.

What happened to all the missing parts in the engine bay of your new GC?
Brought it like that, I brought a shell and the owner was supposed to take the 20K out but he didn't and just told me I can have it or scrap it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts