Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L Wagon swapped
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
so i just gave my 93 closed deck ej20g a full tune up and timing belt and seals and all that jazz, it's running great on the (rare) sc ecu I have now, and I'm beginning to amass parts for robs 550 tune. I was wondering, should I go to a small fmic for better performance on that tune, or would it be better to source a v2 sti ******? If fmic is the way to be, will the jdm beam fit under my 93-96 L bumper skin, or do I have to get a jdm v1/v2 skin? Id really prefer to keep the L skin if possible for the sleeper look.
Im pretty fine in terms of sourcing the parts, but would the 440 tune be okay with the crappy black ****** for now?
Also, will my stock plastic bpv be fine for robs 550 tune, or should I get something like the forge metal replacement? What kind of hose should I get to connect the bpv to the crappy downward facing hole on the cold side of those cxracing type kits...Ive heard some people say like mitsubishi mirage or cherokee upper rad hose, but will those be long enough?
Thanks for all the help,
Alex

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,886 Posts
Hi guys,
so i just gave my 93 closed deck ej20g a full tune up and timing belt and seals and all that jazz, it's running great on the (rare) sc ecu I have now, and I'm beginning to amass parts for robs 550 tune. I was wondering, should I go to a small fmic for better performance on that tune, or would it be better to source a v2 sti ******? If fmic is the way to be, will the jdm beam fit under my 93-96 L bumper skin, or do I have to get a jdm v1/v2 skin? Id really prefer to keep the L skin if possible for the sleeper look.
Im pretty fine in terms of sourcing the parts, but would the 440 tune be okay with the crappy black ****** for now?
Also, will my stock plastic bpv be fine for robs 550 tune, or should I get something like the forge metal replacement? What kind of hose should I get to connect the bpv to the crappy downward facing hole on the cold side of those cxracing type kits...Ive heard some people say like mitsubishi mirage or cherokee upper rad hose, but will those be long enough?
Thanks for all the help,
Alex
A FMIC does fit under the L bumper cover. You don't even need a jdm beam, you can just cut the center out of the beam leaving just the top layer of metal. I have done 2 cars like this.

I'd upgrade the BPV, it might blow open with higher boost. I used a stock evo 8 valve on mine. It needed some plastic pipe adapters to work, it's larger.

I've used this kit twice.

95-00 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.5 RS GC8 WRX STI INTERCOOLER KIT | eBay

word, so you think a fmic is too much for this motor/turbo setup? alot of people seem to have success with them, I am just worried about lag. for reference this is the kit I own:
95-00 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX/STI GC8 27"INTERCOOLER+PIPING | eBay
Too small.

The fmic provides nothing of gain at sub 300whp levels that the rob tune provides
Oh yeah it does, big difference, the ****** intercoolers are about worthless in the summer.

would it be a good idea to heat wrap/ blanket the downpipe to prevent heatsoak?
Don't need to with a FMIC.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the infor everyone. Just saying, it seems as if it is impossible to get to 300whp on the ej20g without upgrading the MAF to a bigger one, which rob still hasn't released a tune for. rob's numbers are as follows:
287 HP, 261 Ft-Lbs @ 18psi (spiking up to 18.5)
do you think your 279 HP, 288 Tq numbers are a result of the FMIC (ie more torque less power?) Also why do you think that fmic i have is too small? its certainly bigger than the stock one and will not heatsoak nearly as much being fmic rather than tmic.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I don't understand how you guys have/had heatsoak.

unless you don't know about this cool stuff called heat wrap. My IC is never hot to the touch, even after idling still for 20 mins. Neither is it warm when playing in the snow under 20mph for hours.

I'd like to see some data of IAT with or without a fmic. It's easy to counter high iats. It is not easy to counter poor throttle response and added weight over the front axle

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand how you guys have/had heatsoak.

unless you don't know about this cool stuff called heat wrap. My IC is never hot to the touch, even after idling still for 20 mins. Neither is it warm when playing in the snow under 20mph for hours.

I'd like to see some data of IAT with or without a fmic. It's easy to counter high iats. It is not easy to counter poor throttle response and added weight over the front axle
I'd like to see what rob says on this whole debate for this particular setup, since he developed the 550 tune with the v2 sti ******. He says that he is working on a z32 tune in conjunction with a fmic on his own car/guineapig, so i guess we'll see...

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
no, as in the stock disgusting charge pipe.

custom 550 tune. I should step up and give rob my z32 maf notes from the h6, but i havent got around to it. once that is done, then we will be replacing shortblocks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no, as in the stock disgusting charge pipe.

custom 550 tune. I should step up and give rob my z32 maf notes from the h6, but i havent got around to it. once that is done, then we will be replacing shortblocks
word, past 300whp and it's best of luck i've heard with stock ej20g internals. i for one would like to build a custom stroker one day when even the 550 tune power isn't enough for me. I have a closed deck motor, and i'd like to do one of those 2.2 stroker kits, except it neccesitates relocating the thrust bearing to 5 i think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.