Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L Wagon swapped
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

SO I am about to get a "standalone" enduring solutions computer to run my ej20g (which allows the option of speed density tuning so the motor will no longer be MAF-limited, i'll chuck that POS out), and I am wondering if it will make sense to upgrade injectors before I get the car tuned. Right now I'm on robs standard 550 tune with the USDM yellowtop sidefeeds and the standard td05h 16g pushing 18 pounds of boost. Reading many threads has made me believe that my injectors are close to maxed out at this power level. I found a great deal on DW sidefeed 850cc injectors, would it make sense to throw those in to get tuned, or will that be "too much" injector for the setup as is.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sell me the robtuned ecu
lol. well I can sell the chip out of it (the eeprom), not gonna have the complete ecu to sell as I am installing the ESL board onto the motherboard I already have.

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,659 Posts
You can almost never have too much injector. You're better off having head room than running out of space, especially if you decided to go higher octane like e85 or race gas.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
log the car, let it tell you what IPW is

You absolutely can have too much injector, and it's not even that hard to do. How many data points does your new tuning platform have? What's it's resolution? That + your injector choice will yield success or failure.

stock CR, a TD05 16g on a top mount, no cams, stock IM, stock throttle body, a 255 lph pump - I'd find it hard to believe you're close to maxing out a 550cc injector. No clue what you would do with an 850cc unit.

Remember too, not all injectors are created equally, especially aftermarket

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard conflicting views on whether 550's would be maxxed out in this setup. some people say yes, 100%, others say no way.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
no sense in guessing...datalog it and see. I'd assume your new ecu would let you log IPW. Then if you need em, 850's are easy to come by from many brands ranging from inexpensive to expensive. If by "great deal", they are $100, then no brainer...grab em, send them out to be flowed and balanced, use your new ecu, datalog, and if you need em, you got em. If not sell em for what you got into em...it will still be a great deal for someone. If much more than that, personally, I'd just buy 'em new....and if budget will allow, opt for the ID vs the DW. But on a budget, with a good tune, DW's work quite well with the right person punching the keys to the tune.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the insight and advice, I ended up picking up the DW 850's just paid for em. Ended up being $250 for a set with 11,xxx miles on them, definitely a good deal. I'll talk to my tuner and go from there, but logging is def the right way to go.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
you dont need adapters? Thought phase I injectors were different

reread first post, have USDM yellows in there so if you did need them you have em :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, I have the carl davey adapter kit already, works perfect. Since the DW injectors use the oem bodies (I believe they are essentially "modded" oem yellowtops, the adapter kit should be plug and play for them as well.

you dont need adapters? Thought phase I injectors were different

reread first post, have USDM yellows in there so if you did need them you have em :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts