Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 GF8 RX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first subie on staurday (97 gf8 RX) and I'm keen for everything but my main question is if the ej20e is single or dual port, also my cars n/a. I've had a look under the car and I snagged a photo if it helps. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
201 Posts
It looks like a dual port judging from the heat shield but I cant tell for certain since the right side of the photos is cut off.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,562 Posts
No worries, being such a small difference to the common eye and most seeing the UEL headers on e-bay with 2 separate pipes from each head, doing a 4-2-1 merge, can really confuse anyone. Like these

·
Registered
1997 GF8 RX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know know if those headers you've linked would work with the ej20e and how good the quality is on them. i was looking at some headers from empire performance

·
12,562 Posts
My link was just the first I found with what I was talking about. Most of these out there are from the same Chinese manufacture, usually hard to fit without prying open a bit. It's like they made their jig with minimal welds, then removed the part, finished and the jig shrunk from the heat.

IDK much about the ones you posted, although looking at them, having that flex joint may be a big plus for fitment. I would be weary of how good of a bellow it is for a total price point of $300. With that said, the price is $300, so you're not out of a lot of money.

Just remember too that this is a finite part, it will not last you forever, so if you get a good 4-5 years from it before maybe a weld cracks, I would be pleased.

If I were to look at new goodies myself, I would check out Inferno fab, he is just a little bit more.

Mild steel

Stainless

·
Registered
1997 GF8 RX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the help, ill definitely make sure to check them out. My uncle is a welder by trade and said he Ould weld a muffler for me and I was think of getting him to do a mid pipe as well. My question is would I need to get him to weld a resonator for the mid pipe and what would be the biggest size muffler I could run without loosing too much power being n/a I was thinking of getting 2.5"?

·
12,562 Posts
Thanks so much for the help, ill definitely make sure to check them out. My uncle is a welder by trade and said he Ould weld a muffler for me and I was think of getting him to do a mid pipe as well. My question is would I need to get him to weld a resonator for the mid pipe and what would be the biggest size muffler I could run without loosing too much power being n/a I was thinking of getting 2.5"?

Well the above collects into a 2.25, so what I would do is a 2.25 midpipe to match and a 2.5 muffler if you want after that.

Most aftermarket don't have resonators since their trying to make as much niose as possible as you won't be loud pairing with their muffler.

·
Registered
1997 GF8 RX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill make sure to check it out. also super off topic of exhausts but my shifter bushings have gone and its super sloppy, i was wonder if you had any recommendations for a short throw shifter and bushing

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,239 Posts
Make sure whatever you buy complies with your local laws, I am sure Australia has limits to what they'll allow. Well, maybe not in NT, but elsewhere else.

·
Registered
1997 GF8 RX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea 100%, That's why I asked about the resonator because we have a laws that makes it so we cant be louder than 90ish db from 5m away at roughly 3000rpm from the top of my head

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea 100%, That's why I asked about the resonator because we have a laws that makes it so we cant be louder than 90ish db from 5m away at roughly 3000rpm from the top of my head
i don't have a res and i've been fine for quite awhile. You're driving an NA wagon so i don't think your car will attract much cop attention even without a resonator but you will probably want one for your own sake anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts