Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads, I'm swapping my blown ej205 for a ej207 in my 2000 gc8. The plan is short block from Japan, and refurbish my heads. so my question is, is there anything different about the sti heads? Worth looking into getting a set to have more a complete package or are my ones fine? ps my old engine had about 165km on it.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
366 Posts
There are several different variants of the ej207 heads.

If you're talking about the GC8 ej207 "regular" STI heads, then they have a little bit spicier cams, slightly stiffer springs, a little better valve material.

If you're talking about JDM ver 7+ ej207, those aren't electrically compatible with your car. They bolt on, not being able to use the variable valve timing means the engine is a dog below 4k RPMs.

Imo if you can find some non-variable valve timing ej207 heads for cheap enough, they are incrementally better than what you currently have. Worth it depending on the deal.

If you could find some big port RA heads, those would be noticeably better, but you're paying a lot for those.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
76 Posts
Why are you buying just the short block from Japan and then putting your own refurbished heads on? Better off to just buy a complete 207 long block instead.

You can install an EJ207 V7+ in your car AS LONG AS you also get a compatible ECU and buy a kit to install that allows the full use of AVCS. Several companies sell the kit. iWire is a place a lot of people go to for this. IAG used to have a kit as well.

Of course, don't forget you are going to need a new tune to make everything work properly.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
366 Posts
Samurai Jack, he's got a factory ver 6 WRX, do you know for sure that the avcs wiring and ecus work with that car?

·
Registered
2002 WRX
76 Posts
I don't see why they would not. I have a 2002 WRX. Installed a 207 V7 + matching ECU + wiring kit and everything worked fine. The wiring kit plugged directly into my wiring harness.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,543 Posts
The differences between V6 and V7 are significant, and the OP's objective with his factory turbo car is almost certainly not to pull the wiring harness and have iWire merge it. You're essentially telling him to start from scratch like an NA USDM GC owner would have to.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
76 Posts
Maybe I'm still missing something here.

My understanding is as follows:
1. OP wants to buy V7 short block
2. OP wants to take his V6 top end and move it all to V7 short block.
3. OP wants to re-connect everything and get new tune.
4. OP does not get to utilize AVCS that comes w/V7 long block.

Please explain how this is less complicated than * simply * dropping in a complete V7 long block and adding a plug-in kit from iWire or someone else to utilize AVCS?

I have seen v7 short blocks for sale, and they are cheap under $1000 however . . . They need a complete rebuild, which adds considerable cost, time and complexity to this project.

I think it's time the OP come back to this thread and start detailing better what his actual goal is.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,543 Posts
Your understanding of what the OP wants to do and the consequence of not being able to utilize AVCS is correct, but putting * simply * in front of your statement doesn't make it any more possible. Do you know what a V6 WRX vs. a V7? It's a 2000 GC WRX, never available in the US, coming with a factory turbocharged EJ205. There is no plug-in kit from iWire for AVCS. You cannot use a V7 (EJ205 or EJ207, AVCS or not) ECU with a V6 wiring harness. This is not the same as your USDM bugeye, and what Mike-tracy says about the V7 not being electrically compatible is spot on. The ECU pin outs and plugs are drastically different.

Hopefully the OP comes back, but either way, what Mike-tracy and I are saying is accurate, searchable knowledge.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
76 Posts
I used the term * simply * in a facetious way knowing full well it is not a simple matter.

Personally, it if was me, I would just have a new harness built, but that's me.
Thank you for a more full explanation of the situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts